Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hello on Saturday on Halloween

Dear Friends,

Happy Halloween from the Curley's!

Hope that the weather cooperates in your part of the United States for "Trick
or Treat" night, if you have it this evening. We have a 50 % chance of late day
showers before the evening rains arrive.
Pittsfield does have it's "Trick or Treat" night from 5 PM until 7 PM. We have
enough candy for at least 200 children. Our interconnecting streets in our
neighborhood, a former apple orchard, are an ideal place for "Trick or
Treaters". We also have children from outside of our neighborhood arrive by
cars, trucks, and vans because we are such a safe and non threatening place.
For another Halloween, Linda's girlfriend will be passing out candy from our
house since she misses seeing all the children, and their various costumes. She
lives in a neighboring town on an isolated street bordered by some scary woods.
I don't think that I will be dressing up this year. Since we have a helper
passing out candy, I might just watch college football and the World Series.

Friday went as planned with a few changes. I left for golf before Linda woke up
for her retiree breakfast. I was under dressed for golf. It got so cold during
the last five or six holes that most of us couldn't wait to get back to the club
house for fun and merriment, and to warm up.
I arrived home just about the time that Linda was heading off to the grocery
store. I took a nap while she was shopping. I woke up just in time to help haul
groceries from her car into the house.

Our evening went very well, and it was totally unplanned. We were heading to my
hometown to go to a restaurant to use a coupon that Linda had purchased during a
radio auction. I didn't want it to be date night so I suggested that Linda call
another couple, and see if they wanted to join us. The south county couple said
"Yes", but they were waiting for a 6:30 PM delivery of a lounge chair.
They purchased this chair because it will be used by our male friend who is
having rotator cuff surgery on Monday afternoon. Sleeping in bed will be a
problem after this type of surgery. The chair should help out.
This lounge chair is similar to the one Linda purchased for me when I had
quadriceps tendon surgery a couple of years ago. The lever on the chair is on
the right side which is the same side as where his operation will be taking
place. It appears that he will be needing help getting in and out of the chair.
His wife is already starting to get into "Nurse and caregiver mode". She had to
go out and purchase over sized clothes because his arm will be strapped to his
chest. She will be dressing him every day, and waiting on him like a nurse,
mother, caregiver, etc. I am guessing that her pleasant personality might be
altered after a few days.
She owns a woman's specialty store, and who is going to take care of her
business?
Linda and I might have to make frequent visits to help him get to the point
where he will be able to do things for himself, and to give his wife a little
break from taking care of him.
Luckily my friend is left handed, and he will be able to use a fork, and spoon,
but there is no way that he will be able to use a knife to cut food.
I am guessing that "Nurse Judie" will be popping some of his pain pills in no
time at all!

Another baby boomer friend is going to have some repairs done to a knee next
week which is all messed up from playing high school football.
Next week, I will start in North County and visit this friend. I will head
south about 10 miles, and visit my mother in the nursing home. I will then leave
Mom, and head further south to visit with my rotator cuff surgery friend. I will
be like a worker from the local visiting nurse association.
Is this what they refer to as "The Golden Years?"

Sports -- The World Series, and college football are good enough to keep me
entertained.
The Celtics beat up on another terrible NBA Team on Friday night.

Social Calendar -- Besides "Trick or Treat", we have to think about eating
something else other than candy. We might whip up some type of crock pot food. I
might even dust off the bread machine, and whip up a fall like bread.
Linda and her girlfriend, and possibly "Nurse Judie"(before she has to go off
and work at her store) will be heading off to a crafts and food bazaar at the
Italian American Club on Newell Street. Linda dropped off her three pumpkin
breads to the club on Friday. She said that there were mostly Italian foods,
and not too many crafts. They are going early (9:15 AM) because Linda was
guessing that the food specialties would disappear very fast.
I better visit Mom at the nursing home before I start some outdoor projects.
We got invited to a Halloween party too, but we might not have the energy to
attend.

Clock Change -- This is the worst time of the year for me. Turning the clocks
back means that I will be getting up earlier than I do now. This is not good!
Linda on the other hand loves it when the clocks get turned back an hour. She
can't wait to pick up that extra hour of sleep unless I start making too much
noise. She said that I was noisy on Friday morning. Being quiet for me is not
exactly what quiet is for Linda.

As you see, we have another full day ahead of us.

Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: