Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

My unusual body rhythm is really out of whack this morning. My mind and body
said that it was 5:30 AM when I began this e-mail, but the correct time is
really 4:30 AM since we changed the clocks back.

Our Saturday went as planned. Linda and her girlfriend went off to bazaar at
the Italian American Club, as I headed out the door to visit dear old Mom in the
nursing home.
Since the bazaar was okay, but not great, the women filled the rest of the day
by doing a little recreational shopping. What is really nice is that my very
thoughtful wife always comes home with some treasures for me in the form of
clothes. She has the patience to hunt for the best bargains in every store that
she goes in.

The nursing home experience was okay. I did take Mom outside for a long "tool
around" the parking lot, sidewalks, etc. It was drizzling a little, but I had
some golfing umbrellas in my car so neither of us got wet. As we headed back
into the nursing home, Mom started to shed some tears.
They were tears of joy that I took her out of the nursing home for some good
old fresh air. The other tears were for her desire to be living in her own home.
I had to remind her that my sister and I can't be in Lee 24/7 to act as her care
givers for all the stuff that she needs. We are working on getting her help if
she does come home.

Trick or treat night went well for the most part. I say "most part" because the
heavy rains started about the same time as the Ghosts and Goblins came down the
street. The rain kept down the number of "Trick or Treaters". I started off the
evening without wearing a mask, but I felt that I needed to frighten a few
children.
I went into the basement a chose a Frankenstein mask. I hid behind the wall
until Linda opened the door to pass out candy before I showed myself. I
frightened one girl who was so scared that she leaped off our front steps, and
had her mother get her treat.
One three year girl walked right into the house, and wanted to stay there. She
wasn't frightened by my mask at all. The mother called to her to go back out
side, but the child refused to listen to her. The Mom told us to push her out
the door!

The crock pot soup, and bread from our bread machine got postponed on Saturday.
Wood fired pizza at the East Side Cafe hit the spot after Trick or Treat night!
We saw several friends and neighbors there who were doing the same as what we
were doing.

I just got through preparing a pork, sweet potatoes, and uncooked beans in the
crock pot. If you are ever in the Christmas Tree Shops, they have these "no / or
low sodium" boxes of soup. What you are paying for are for some raw beans and a
spice packet. The other ingredients you must add.
We have used these soups before, and they turn out awesome.
I am going to make a "jalapeno & cheese" bread in my bread machine. This will
be a great supper time meal as the temperatures drop here in the Berkshires.

Observation -- I was thinking about my Avid Reader's comments about me changing
date night on Friday thinking that Linda would be upset. When you are both
retired, every evening is a "Date night". We don't have to wait until the
weekend to have a date night. When you are with your partner, pretty much 24/7,
do really need a date night? Linda and I need more separation time so that we
(mostly me) don't drive each other nuts!
Sometimes, I think that my avid reader can't believe that Linda and I are
having such a great time during this phase of our lives. We keep ourselves busy
( sometimes to excess ). We have wonderful children, daughter-in-laws, and
grandchildren.
We were able to retire when we in our late 50's. Yes, it is almost a story book
scenario! We are not rich, but our richness comes from our family, and our
friends. This is why I constantly say "Life is good!" Linda and I truly believe
in those words, and we are living it!
Yes, my parents create a few bumps in the road, but so what? Every family deals
with their aging parents at some point in their lives. It is time for my sister
and I to do so!

Sports -- The Yankees won last night! I am so happy for my Yankee Fan friends.
I never watched a moment of the game.
I sporadically watched some college football.
I watched the Boston Bruin Hockey team win in a 1 PM game.
Today, there are some good NFL football games to keep me entertained. The New
England Patriots have a "Bye" week so they won't be playing.

News -- A United States sailor got himself in trouble by firing shots at Polish
Port. He claims he was cleaning his machine gun on the ship. Luckily no one was
killed.
How about the Iraqi man who ran over his 20 year old daughter and her girl
friend in a mall parking lot in Arizona because she was becoming too
"Westernized?" The stress that some young daughters create for their parents is
enough to drive you crazy, but killing your daughter is not the solution!

Coffee -- I hate to throw out food or beverage items. I have a couple of 13
ounce cans of Espresso coffee. I decided to use some this morning for my coffee.
I am so wide awake! It is like I took a couple of those "No Doze" tablets. I
don't know if there is enough quiet activities for me to do so that I will be
able to make no noise so that Linda can sleep longer this morning. I am beyond
wired!

Have a great Sunday.
Winter is on our doorstep!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: