Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned on Friday.

Linda squeezed in the most activities of the day. She left the house at 8:15
AM, and never returned until after 3:00 PM.

After returning home from Retro Fitness, I slaved over a hot iron pressing some
very wrinkled shirts while a load my clothes were be cleaned in the washing
machine.
My clothes washing didn't go as planned. I left a paper towel in a pair of my
sweat pants which I use when I go off to the gym. All of my dark clothes were
coated with pieces of that chewed up paper towel. Where was Linda when I needed
her?

A little before 11 AM, I headed off to the nursing home to visit Mom. I took
mom outside, and we tooled around the grounds of the nursing home. I told her
that I wasn't allowed to give her any more "High Balls", but I was so tempted to
do so. I still carry the ingredients in the back of my car.
Most of my friends do agree that giving mom one light "high ball" when I visit
her is not a big deal no matter what medicine she is taking. Hey, the woman is
93 years old, stuck in a nursing, with only one leg, going from a bed to a wheel
chair, and not to far from meeting her Maker. Even if the "High Ball" killed
her, she would die a happy person.
If that was me in my mother's situation, I would want some one to offer me a
beverage once in a while. One of the friends who we were out with last evening
said that he and his Mom used to have a Bourbon and water when he visited his
mom in the nursing home. See, us Lee High School Wildcats think alike!

Speaking of last evening. The Italian Buffet at the Berkshire Hills Country
Club went very well. The Curley's and two other couples had a fun time swapping
family stories, and discussing grandchildren. The food was pretty good, and the
selections were numerous. Most of us stretched our stomachs a bit in preparation
for the Thanksgiving Holidays.
The evening ended a little after 8 PM.
I decided to watch the Celtics in bed. Yes, I fell asleep through the whole
game, and it was good that I did. They lost another game on their own court.

Social Calendar -- We have a quiet day on tap. I might spend some time putting
those Christmas Lights in the bushes in the front of the house after I come back
from the gym. It will be daylight when I arrive home since the gym doesn't open
until 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday.
Tonight we are busy once again. The "In Demand" Curley's were invited to three
events. We want to go to all three events, but we were booked into a house party
over a month and a half ago. No, we can't leave the house party early and attend
the other two because almost all the events are starting around the same time.

Observation -- We have an under the counter toaster oven. I was reading a sales
flier from a local hardware store who survived the big box stores like Walmart
and Home Depot. They have a toaster oven in their flier. It seems like the
"under the counter" toaster ovens must be illegal now. They probably started too
many kitchen fires when left unattended.
The new toaster ovens are designed to sit on the counter. They have too many
have dials for me. I think my sons have toasters ovens like the one on sale. I
can never figure out how to make a slice of toast, when I use these newer
models. I don't know which dials to twist and turn.
Our older model has three simple dials or buttons. One is for baking, a button
for turning the device of and on, and another dial for making the toast light or
dark. Us baby boomers like it simple.
We have friends who use regular toasters. When you want to reheat a day old
slice of pizza, the regular toaster is useless. You could put the slice of pizza
in the microwave, but it turns out limp and soggy.

The same thing happened to cell phones. The first ones that came out were
simple. For us baby boomers, most of us just want to make and receives calls,
and occasionally text message (not while driving). Now, the cell phones do so
many things, I would need to take a course to figure out all of the
applications. The new generation of people and the devices that they create must
never have heard of KISS! --> Keep It Simple Stupid

We fired up the Aero Garden for the winter months. We have Italian Herbs in the
device right now. Our soups, meats, and sauces in the crock pot will have some
great flavors when using fresh herbs.

Have a great weekend.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: