Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned with only one bump on the way to great day.

I did my morning workout, and finished the outdoor lights. We did a trial run
last night, and everything worked fine except for the head of the male deer. The
lights on his head go off and on. No, I didn't put in the red tip bulbs which
would cause the blinking. The problem is in the wiring.

Linda's baking went well, but the Domestic Goddess had to take a lot of aspirin
by the end of the day.

The bump in the road occurred when I was in the middle of peeling apples. My
sister was forty miles away taking dad to an appointment when she called me in a
panic. One of her two dogs ate a box of Decon which she had purchased the night
before, and left on her kitchen table. My sister bought the Decon to get rid of
rodents which have been reeking havoc in their storage shed.
I jumped in my car, and picked up the dog at her house (3 miles from our
house). Christopher was home, but he doesn't drive. He was waiting for me as I
arrived at the house. The Veterinarian Hospital is about 1.5 miles from their
home. The dog seemed to be her normal hyper self. The doctor asked me how much
of the Decon that the dog ate. I had no clue until I talked to Marie after the
fact. It was a brand new box of Decon.
The doctor induced vomiting ( I wasn't in the room), but said that she would
keep the dog for several hours. Doctor Barbara Wolfarght was the attending
physician. The doctor did say that Decon is some "nasty stuff."
The doctor called my sister, and said to check back in 4 to 6 hours to see how
the patient was doing. My sister did go back 6 hours later to check on the dog.
When my sister arrived to check on the dog, the dog wasn't there. I took the dog
to the incorrect hospital.
There are two Vet places within a couple miles from her home. I guess that I
didn't listen when my sister told me to take her the the Allen Heights facility
instead of the Crane Avenue one which we used to take Billy (Kevin's dog) to
when we baby sat for Billy for two years.
I was more interested in saving the life of the dog which I will use an excuse
for not listening.
Since my sister has another dog, the doctor wanted to make sure that this dog
didn't eat the Decon too. Since we don't have animals I was wondering what it
would cost to get the dogs back to normal. The estimate was about $340 for the
first dog unless they decided to keep the dog overnight.

Observations -- While in the waiting room of the animal hospital, other animal
owners always seem to want to talk to me. I must project an image of a caring
and nurturing person. One guy started telling me about his dogs that have chewed
on furniture, shoes, clothing, bags of human food, cereal boxes, etc. He said
that if he leaves anything out of closets, deacon benches, etc., his dog will
destroy the item. The legs of all of the furniture have gnaw marks on them. He
said that he has lost more sneakers and jackets that I could imagine. It might
been cheaper for this senior citizen to adopt a child, and get rid of his dog.
At one point I felt like I was in the emergency room of Berkshire Medical
Center. There was a steady flow of people and their sick pets.

Social Calendar -- We have a light day today. When I communicate with you guys
on Wednesday, we will be from another part of the State. I am getting so psyched
for Thanksgiving even though we have turned on the Christmas Tree lights. My
bird feeders are filled. Our furry and feathered friends will be celebrating the
Holiday too.

Have to go to the gym.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: