Friday, November 13, 2009

Hello on Friday the 13th

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned plus one extra thing.

Let me explain what the extra thing was all about! A couple of weeks ago, while
doing outdoor projects, and some garage cleaning, I lost my wedding ring. Of
course, when I told Linda, she went bonkers, especially since she replaced our
original gold wedding bands a couple of years ago with platinum rings. I said
many prayers to St. Anthony, patron Saint of lost and found, hoping to find the
ring.
Every time that I went into the back yard, I looked where I was raking leaves,
getting rid of deck planters, trimming bushes, etc. I looked in the house in the
crevices of the couches in the family room, and in the basement couch, where I
watch sports. I looked in all the pockets of the usual cargo pants that I wear,
jackets, etc. I pretty much gave up looking for the ring.
I was doing my first project in the garage on Thursday, which was cutting up
boxes for the paper recycle bin. After cutting up at 8 boxes, I picked up small
box. When I picked up the box, I heard something rattle. Low and behold, the
rattling was caused by my lost wedding ring. I ran into the house, and told
Linda about my discovery. At least now, she won't shed any tears every time that
I mention the ring.
I have learned a good lesson. Wear no jewelery when doing projects!

After Linda finished reading the local newspaper, we worked together in the
garage. Linda didn't want to get involved in my project, but she had to. Now she
can reach all of the buckets with Christmas items in them. She can decorate the
inside of the house while I decorate the outside of the house after
Thanksgiving.
My working out in the gym actually paid off because I didn't struggle at all
lifting buckets, and climbing up and down the step ladder while doing my garage
project.

I did go back to my garage man, paid him the $10. I was thinking, that if I
went to the Subaru dealer, the clamp replacement to stop an oil leak, and the
replacement of two license plate bulbs would have cost at least $100. What a
bargain I got?

Social Calendar -- We have only one item on it today. We are off to a 6 PM
UNICO Baseball & Softball Hall of Fame dinner at Mazzeo's Ristorante. Hopefully,
the speaking program will be short which the organizers hope will go from from
6PM until 7 PM, with the meal to follow.

I just got back from "Retro Fitness". The Ninja guy wasn't there today. Two
muscle bound guys, wearing their weight lifting waist belts, showed up instead.
I worked on the machines for 45 minutes, and finished off my hour workout on
the treadmill for 15 minutes.

Politics -- The President is going to have job summit. I think that we should
go back to the old WPA projects of the World War II era, where the government
hired out of work people to fix up our parks, National and Local. Our roads and
bridges system can always use a little help too. The Appalachian trail as well
as other hiking trails need a lot of work too. Wouldn't it be nice if some of
the money directed toward Wars could be used to help our own people, and our own
Country in general? This would be money well spent!

Observation -- I think, without verifying, that my garage repair guy might be
struggling to make ends meet. The place is usually full with cars that they work
on. Normally you can't just walk in, like I did, and get something repaired. The
first day that I stopped in was at 3:30 PM. There was my car, a jeep Cherokee,
and a fork lift that the guys were working on. A couple people did come in for
their yearly car inspection.
Yesterday, when I paid my $10, there might have been one car on a lift (they
have 7 lifts and one bay for inspections). This was only 2:30 PM in the
afternoon. I think that money must be really tight, and people are holding off
with having work done on their car.
My philosophy is get the work done on our more mature cars so that we don't
have to buy another car, and deal with a car loan.

I was told not to give Mom and alcoholic beverages once again. I only gave her
one drink the other morning. She may have had a one drink buzz, but the beverage
didn't make her sick. If I was 93 years old, with one leg, confined to a wheel
chair and nursing home, I would want at least one drink a day.
I would probably ask my children, or friends to bring me a bottle of booze, or
a whole bunch of those nips.
I had a great uncle who had the doctor put it in writing that he was allowed a
shot of alcohol every day while he was in a nursing home. He lived until he was
almost 94 years old.

Weird news -- On the way back from the gym on Thursday, I was listening to the
radio. It was reported that a Chinese guy found a creative way to earn money. He
lets women use him as a human punching bag (in the stomach area). The guy
charges $15 for 30 minutes. Most of his customers never reach the 30 minute mark
because they are exhausted after a short amount of time.

Well, I have to do some quiet chores.
I will need a nap for sure before we go out this evening.
Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: