Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dear Friends,
We had another pleasant day at the Brodeurs in Tewksbury. A couple of baby
boomer arrived early afternoon, and that is when the fun began. Our conversation
was mostly about our aging parents, and what we are doing keep our sanity, and
make sure that they are managing okay.
My father will be having turkey dinner with dear old Mom in the nursing home.

Mike , Danielle, and Isabelle are in Minnesota with Danielle's parents, and her
side of the family.

My sister and her children, and their offspring will be partying at Perrea home
in Pittsfield.
Her dogs, mostly one of the two, survived the eating of the Decon. It was a
full unopened box that Dutchess did consume. The dog will be on Vitamin K for 30
days. I will just say that this was a $500 plus bill from the animal hospital.
My sister is considering animal insurance!

The evening at the Brodeurs went well also. Three of the thirty something age
group arrived around 4 PM, and we switched to a more upbeat conversation. The
fun and merriment continues right through supper which was served at 7 PM. Nine
of us were around the dinning room table. The beef over noodles was wonderful,
and then the homemade desserts came out. Most of us do not need breakfast this
morning!

The 27 pound turkey is stuffed, and I just helped to put in the convection
oven. The other guests will be arriving around 11:30 AM. Right now Linda and I
are choosing our wardrobe for the day. It is going to be around 55 degrees today
which is so weird for the end of November. We both wished that we had packed a
couple of short sleeve items.

After supper last evening, I went to watch the Boston Bruins Hockey team, and
the Celtics basketball team do battle respectively. Another baby boomer decided
to join Jerry and I, but he went back up stairs when he noticed that Jerry and I
were sound asleep.
I did wake up to watch both teams win their contests. The hockey team need a
shootout to get their overtime winning goal.

Observation -- Well today is the start of the Holiday season. Most of the
fliers which came in the Boston Globe this morning are for stores which we don't
even have in Pittsfield or the Berkshires in general.
I don't think that Linda and I will be hitting any of the early bird store
openings and sales on Black Friday. Like most Americans in the tight economy, we
have changed our thinking about what we going to spend our pension dollars on.
We are going to focus on our grandchildren, and my sister's grandchildren.
The needs of a retired couple don't seem to warrant many gifts. If I want to
replace an item of clothing, I / we don't wait until the Christmas Holiday. If
there is a particular gadget that I covet, we just purchase it when I need it.
As I have told all of you before, the motto in the Curley household from
Linda's perspective is: "If I can't wear it, then I don't want it." This
includes jewelery or articles of clothing.
Me on the other hand like functional things whether it is to replace a worn out
article of clothing or a gadget. I prefer a new gadget for the house or in
particular for me.
I really don't even shop for clothes. If Linda gets tired of me wearing the
same set of sweaters, or Patriot gear, she will use her coupons, and come home
with a new item of clothing. It is so nice to have your own personal shopper.

Well, I do wish that all of you have a great Thanksgiving.
Give all of your loved ones a big hug, not only for today, but throughout the
whole year.
If "Life is good" in your world, enjoy the ride.
Think happy thoughts, and get rid of those negative vibes.

Have a great day, and weekend.
The Curley's have already had a great start so far, and you should too.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: