Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

ar Friends,



Another day went as planned.



The noontime luncheon went very well. There were seven of us around the dinning room table. My sister’s husband changed his work schedule and joined us.

We ate lunch including dessert; packed some food for each family, and cleaned up before my head hit the pillow at 2:30 PM for an afternoon nap.

My sister actually went to Lee, and picked up dad, and stopped to visit dear old mom in the nursing home before coming to our house.



While at the luncheon, we stayed away from politics for the most part since my brother-in-law and my sister are staunch Republicans. They both are not friends of us Tax and Spend Liberals.



We had a relaxing evening alone. We decided to make it date night, and go off to the Shamrock to play a little Keno near 7 PM. We sat at the bar, and each had a bowl of French Onion soup, and a half of a corned beef Rueben.

We came home around 8:30 PM, and put on our sleepwear. I went down in my Man Cave to watch sports while Linda watched some shows on demand on the family room television.

The Bruins got beat, but the Celtics did win in an overtime game.

We almost broke even playing Keno. Of course, I was sitting next to a lady who said that she won $1000 the other day on the quick pick game which she played. She likes to play four numbers and the bonus. She wasn’t winning last night.



Today is the first day in a while that I woke up with no pain in my right leg, but why, I don’t know. I am going off to Retro Fitness at 6 AM which is the weekend starting time for the gym.

I will be careful not to do any damage to the leg. The last few times that I was at Retro Fitness, there was a male grunter. This was kind of distracting as I am doing elliptical machines using very little weight.



I see where a reporter for MSNBC got suspended for making contributions for several Democratic Candidates. It was against station policies for doing so.



Observation – While at our luncheon yesterday, we did bring up the subject of all the shootings and stabbings which have been taking place in Pittsfield. When the injured parties go to the hospital to get his / her wounds taken care of, they never answer the questions from the police.

Most of the violence which takes place is drug related.

The last two incidents were perpetrated by individuals born into families who have been making the police briefs generation after generation.

My parents’ generation, and us baby boomer generation were so lucky that we grew up with part of our education coming from the Church. Guilt was a powerful message that the priests, and nuns taught us. The Ten Commandments, which were hammered in to our young minds, still stick with us today. “Though Shall Not Kill” has no meaning for these people who shoot and stab each other as a way of resolving their issues. A guy in the Albany area stabbed and killed a guy over a mutual girlfriend. Instead of working things out in a non violent way, stabbing each other was their solution. After hurting each other, they go right back to their apartment or home, and act like nothing just happened.

The other day, a guy who released from prison a few days earlier, goes to a Pittsfield Convenience store and buy a bottle of Vodka. He gets into a verbal altercation with some people who he knew outside of the store, and cracked the glass Vodka bottle over the head of some one. The person has severe brain damage. Luckily, the incident was caught on camera, and they arrested the guy soon after the incident.

The other day, one of my former students, who is now a member of the Pittsfield Police department, goes to an incident which takes place in one of the hill towns just outside of Pittsfield. The homeowner comes home drunk, and starts smashing things in his house. He gets some gas cans with the intentions of burning down his garage just as the police arrive. The guy runs into the woods just before the guy lights the garage on fire. My former student, and another policeman, who was also a former student of mine, approached the deranged guy. Well the first policeman sees the guy make a move which appeared to be life threatening, and shoots the guy several times(but doesn’t kill him). The policeman is now on desk duty while the police investigate the shooting. I will bet money that the bad guy will bring a suit against the policeman and the City, and claim excessive force was used. Is there something wrong with this picture?

It sure seems like it is the Wild West out there from the big cities to the little towns!



Social Calendar – Linda is booked into an adventure with two of her girlfriends. Her adventure starts at 10:30 AM. I will be doing some leaf removal if the weather cooperates. An afternoon nap, and some reading, and watching college football is also on my agenda.

Sunday Linda (and me possibly) are off to the Fiber Festival mentioned in yesterday’s e-mail. We also did get an invite to my sister’s home for a birthday party for my niece’s son Malikai. He will be turning two years old. I also have to make an appearance at the fund raiser for the son (who has cancer issues) of one of our honorary UNICO members. There doesn’t seem to be enough time to go to everything. My Patriots play at 1 PM too. I really want to see this game.



Well, I have some quiet activities to do before heading off to Retro Fitness.

Have a great Saturday and Sunday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: