Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,



The horse that no one wants to claim which I mentioned yesterday in my daily blog was most likely abandoned by its owner. Horses cost the owner hundreds of dollars to maintain. The owner probably just couldn’t afford to take care of the horse. A friend said that the abandoning horses happen more often than you can imagine.



Our Monday went as planned. I was the first one who left the house. I loaded up my Subaru with bags of clothes, and dropped them off at our local Goodwill place. I also had to go to another Goodwill place and drop off a couple of old chairs.



Linda puttered around the house while I was on the road. Shortly after I arrived home, she went out to do errands. She did stop home for about 5 minutes, and I helped her unload some grocery items, and some stuff from Walmart. She left again, but I am not sure where she went because left the house at 5 PM, and headed off to my UNICO Board meeting.



My friend, who I picked up for the Board meeting, told me a cute story of something that happened in his house. After my friend and I worked the Special Olympics Pasta Dinner on Sunday, he decided to take home some left over concoction of butter, olive oil, and garlic which was made for the white pasta which we served. My friend had all intentions of making a little white pasta for his daughter and himself for supper. My friend put the concoction on his kitchen counter top. His 2 year old granddaughter slid a kitchen chair over to the counter, and took the bowl thinking that it was something to eat. She takes the bowl into the family room, and realizes that it is not some that you would just eat. His granddaughter soon realized that it wasn’t something that she liked, and she proceeded to spill and grind the concoction into a couple year old fabric couch. My friend’s wife is coming home today from a conference which she has been attending in Cincinnati. On Monday, my friend tried getting the stain and garlic smell out of the family room couch. He tried all kinds of stain removers, and the couch and the family room still smells like garlic. He asked all the Italians at the UNICO Board Meeting if any of them knew how to get the stain and the smell out. Their response was for my friend to hire a professional cleaning company. My friend does have some form of a steam cleaning device. He said that he would try it this morning before he has to pick up his wife at the airport today.



We will have a damp and dreary day here in the Berkshires with the heavy rain falling this evening.



Linda is hosting Mah Jongg for her Tuesday group of ladies. They will be arriving at 11:30 AM.

I am going to take an afternoon nap while they are playing Mah Jongg.



My first task of the day is to start removing the glasses from the hutch in preparation for the installation of carpets on Thursday. The removal of small tables, and chairs, lamps and other decorations have to be done on Wednesday since the ladies play Mah Jongg in one of the two rooms which will be carpeted on Thursday.



I think that we might have an evening when we have no commitments for change.



Observation – After seeing all the advertisements for Whole Turkeys in the 5 grocery fliers which come to our house pretty much every week, I started thinking about Thanksgiving Day Dinner. Linda and I have been going to the Brodeur’s for years now to celebrate Thanksgiving. I can’t remember when we had a Thanksgiving Day Dinner at our home. I think that I might talk Linda into cooking a 10 or 12 pound bird when we get back home from the Brodeur’s. Linda enjoys making Turkey sandwiches using Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a little mayo. Kevin makes a similar sandwich for his customers at the restaurant, or when he does a little catering around Thanksgiving.

I was also thinking about the vegetable that I eat only once per year. I think Jerry Brodeur, me, and maybe his dad are the only ones who eat this smelly vegetable (Turnips). If we had Thanksgiving at our house, my father would expect turnips to be on the menu.

If a person was a vegetarian, there would be enough food at any Thanksgiving Day Dinner that would be meat free.

I can still see that Norman Rockwell painting where the dad is bringing the cooked Turkey to the dinner table as all the dinner guests eyes like up in anticipation.

Ginny Brodeur saves the Turkey legs for me. Linda doesn’t want me gnawing on the Turkey Leg while at the dinner table. I consume them for an evening snack. She wants me to eat slowly and daintily instead of me eating like a cave man. I am also restricted to the amount of food which I can put on my plate. I think that I am going to eat at the kids table this year.

Well, I have to stop talking about Thanksgiving Day Dinner. I am getting hungry just thinking about what a great day that it always is for me.



The Patriots are playing the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving Day at 1 PM. This means I will have great food, and a great football game to watch. I truly will be a happy man when I go to bed after the Thanksgiving Day festivities.



Have a great Tuesday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: