Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

Saturday went as planned somewhat. I say somewhat because the scarecrow project moved inside a parking garage with the threat of rain. My UNICO brothers and sisters set up the grill and started cooking breakfast food of egg, ham and cheese on a hard roll. There were donuts, coffee and hot chocolate too. Hot dogs and hamburgers came after breakfast.
This was the second year of this Scarecrow Project, but the first time that UNICO was asked to be the sole food vendor.

It didn't last long before I left the grill area, and started building a scare crow. Visualize me saying "Hello" to a guy in a wheel chair who has been suffering from MS for many years. He graduated from my high school in the early 70's. I never had him in class, but I taught other family members of his. He says that he wants to build three scare crows. He has no tools to do so. He has no team of people to help him. I am feeling really guilty, and how can I say "No". Each team( usually containing three people) of participants are given bundles of wood already shaved, and with holes drilled in the appropriate places, nails, and wires, and hay. The guy happens to find a hammer in the car.
I start trying to visualize how to put the scarecrow together, and I begin nailing the wood pieces to form the scarecrow. An artist / director of the project comes running over, and tells me to stop nailing, and he said to take everything apart because I did it incorrectly. I guess I was supposed to wait for a demonstration of how to assemble the wooden pieces before I started nailing things together.
So now I listen and watch how to assemble the scarecrow, and I / we get to work. Luckily, two UNICO guys came over to help me assemble "the" scarecrow. I say "the" because my wheel chair bound friend wanted to build three scarecrows. The scare crows he wanted to build were supposed to be three scarecrows in vintage baseball outfits. We convinced him that we better just build one this year since this was the first time which we participated in such a project. There is no way that my friend and I could have assembled this scarecrow alone.
Well, the scarecrow got built. I even took off my black socks for the final article of clothing which we put on the scarecrow.
A reporter for a local newspaper took a couple of pictures of the scarecrow and us. It might be in the newspaper this morning.
The scarecrows are going to be fireproofed, and set up in various locations in downtown Pittsfield. Our scarecrow is going to be set up at our, what they call, "Park Square".

My act of kindness has me and UNICO booked in for next year's scarecrow project. We are going to do all three vintage baseball players. Our baseball player has a bat on his shoulder. The ones which we didn't build is a male with a baseball glove, and female with a ponytail both dressed in those vintage outfits.

Linda went off to a crafts fair in a neighboring town, and did a little recreation shopping after that. I was napping around 2:45 PM while she was shopping, but only for an hour.

We were both tired from the Wine Tasting the night before. Papa Ginos cooked us supper. Linda watched reruns, and I watched college football before bedtime.

My mother turns 92 today. I have to contact my sister to see if we are going to do something special for my mother.

Have to go.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: