Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

It is 32 degrees as I start this e-mail. I am hoping that the daffodils, and the tulips survived the frost which we had last evening.

Linda and I made it through our full day on Wednesday. We /(I) did come home in time to watch most of the Red Sox game. A home run in the 10th inning brought another Red Sox victory.
The Sox are off to Tampa bay for 3 games, and then they are off to Yankee stadium for games on Monday and Tuesday before coming home to Fenway.

Besides the breakfast visit with Mom, Linda and I went to visit Mom in the afternoon. The therapists took Mom out of bed, and put her in a wheel chair. While in the therapy room, they tried to get Mom to stand up straight at the parallel bars. Mom struggled because she hasn't used her one leg or her hands for weeks. She has no muscle tone at all. The therapist were really trying to establish a baseline of where she is at so that they could create an action plan.

Social calendar -- My sister is going to do the morning shift today. My day will consist of helping Linda prepare and serve dinner for 8 Book Club members. The appetizer course will begin at 6 PM. Linda will be making a couple of antipasto platters, and I will be the grill person. The grill man will be preparing vegetables, chicken, and shrimp. The meal will end with a homemade dessert and coffee.
As soon as my services are no longer required, I have to leave for a neighborhood watch meeting. Hopefully I won't arrive too late.

Swine Flu -- Should we go out and purchase those masks that the people of Mexico have been using?

Speaking of people of Spanish descent, I want to tell you of an incident I witnessed at the grocery store where I purchased my vegetables which I am grilling this evening. Visualize a discount grocery store that has a good deal of ethnic fruits and vegetables, 50 pound bags of rice, etc. I watched three short people (two women and one man) of Spanish descent do their shopping while I was doing my mine. I observed one of the ladies take a banana, and eat the whole thing, and leave the banana peel on a shelf in one of the isles. I wanted to say something when I observed what she did, but I didn't. They lady knew that I caught her in the act.
When we get to the check out line, the three of them are right behind me. I wanted to confront them, but I resisted. As I walked to my car, I started to think that of what I should have said to them. See if what I said would have created a confrontational situation? I was going to tell the cashier to charge these people for one banana. I would then speak to them directly, and say : "I saw what you did with the banana. Maybe it is okay what you did in your country, but in the United States it would be considered stealing."
My wife, who wasn't with me, suggested that I should have gone to the store manager, and tell him what I observed. I prefer the confrontational approach.

Well, I finally have a morning where I can relax a little before my kitchen work begins.
Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: