Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hello on Father's Day

Dear Friends,
I want to wish all you father's and father's to be out there a "Happy Father's Day!"
Some of us are so fortunate to have our father's still with us. My 85 year old dad will be joining us for some hot dogs and hamburgs cooked on the grill today. I am cooking on the grill rain or shine.
I wish that Mom was well enough to attend the Father's Day festivities (and yesterday's shower). My dad is still talking about getting her back into the family home in Lee. If she is successful in getting Medicaid, then it will happen for sure.

Speaking of the grill, yesterday a couple of friends came over to watch some PGA golf while our wives were attending the Baby Shower for Kyla. When they arrived, I asked how many and what kind of meats that they would like me to grill. One of the guests said: "Fran, why don't you sit down, and I will do the cooking for you?" This is exactly what life is all about! My friend knew that I should be doing more relaxing and healing from my surgery. He cooked those burgers, and dogs to perfection. He can cook for me any time.
I took one bite of the hot dog, reached for a drink, and knocked a full glass of diet coke on our light brown rug. Another friend helped clean up the mess which I created.

The Baby shower went very well. Kyla's Nissan Murano is full of shower gifts from top to bottom. Unless she does some rearranging, there isn't any room for her two dogs. Kevin decided to stay in East Boston, and not close his restaurant on Saturday. It was a good move because he was very busy when Kyla called him after the shower.

Our second activity of the day went very well. There was much fun and merriment at our friend's home. John was going to finish off the main meal on the grill, but heavy rains quickly put a damper on that concept. Luckily my friend prepared foods that could be finished off in the oven. Home made chocolate chip cookies, and some left over cake from the shower was all we needed to finish off the meal.
I did take a little flack from Linda as she observed what I put on my plate on the buffet served style meal. She was very happy that I missed seeing the sausage tucked in between the chicken thighs, and drum sticks. I wanted to go back, and get what I missed, but she wouldn't let me get out of my chair at the dinning room table.
There seems to be a lack of trust issue with respect to me being left alone when there is food available. She is extremely nervous that when she goes to Cape Cod with her girlfriends this coming Thursday, that I will be a bad boy. She doesn't want me to end up in the hospital especially since she won't be home for several days. I think that she liked it better when I was eating ice-chips while I was in the hospital.

Sports -- I did watch a couple of the last few innings of the Red Sox game last night. The starting pitcher lasted all 9 innings for their shutout win. The Yankees lost their game. The Red Sox continue to lead their division. The Sox game starts at 1:35 PM today, weather permitting.

Speaking of weather, our flowers need a little break from the seemingly endless rains. For us to see the sun for a 24 hour period will be truly amazing.

My health -- I continue to be nauseous after every meal. The food always feels great going down, but then I get into a period of not feeling well. I feel good right now since I took my once a day Prilosec (actually a knock off).

Observation -- I was told that there were several babies at the shower yesterday. I asked how our granddaughter conducted herself during the event. She ran from table to table, and was loved by everyone. I did hear that she tackled my sister's grandchild, Matthew. She was attempting to give him a hug, and it ended up like a collision between two football players.

Well, I have to skim the local newspaper before the house wakes up, and the lady from the VNA shows up to change the bandage, and empty the drainage bag.
Have a great Sunday. The Curley Lad

No comments: