Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,
I should be sleeping right now, but around 3 AM I felt nauseous, and I was also ready for a pain pill. Of course, they are downstairs in the kitchen. Once I got up and headed downstairs, I was wide awake. Oh Darn!

Friday went as planned! I tried to relax which was nearly impossible. When you have 3 adult females, an 18 month old "energizer bunny", and two dogs, there is always something to do or help out with.
I did experience more nausea throughout out the day especially after I ate something. I was careful in what I consumed.

For supper I did eat first. The baked fish dinner was okay. I sat down and watched the start of the Red Sox game while the women were oohing and awing over there steamed lobsters.
I was feeling nauseous again, but it was due to the play of the Red Sox caused by the poor pitching of Dice K. The fans booed Dice K. as he left the top of the fifth inning, and headed for the dugout. There will be some changes in the Red Sox starting rotation.

The VNA nurse did come to house and took care of what she had to do. She arrived just as everybody in the house was ready to have some lunch. Visualize all the above mentioned people and creatures, plus me and the VNA nurse at the kitchen table at the same time. I assumed the visit would take 10 to 15 minutes maximum. Not! The nurse had to enter vital information in to her computer which took close to an hour. Also visualize a nurse, in the 80 year old range, who limped up the driveway, and who had trouble managing the steps leading to the front door of our house. Her mind was very sharp even though working 41 years at Berkshire Medical Center had taken its toll on her body.
She will be back at 8 AM this morning, but without her computer.

Today is the Baby Shower for Kyla. Linda is planning on leaving the house for a cake pick up at 11 AM, and then on to Zucchini's Restaurant for the 12 PM Shower. I will be dog sitting, and a couple of male friends are planning on bonding with me while their wives attend the shower. The original plan was for me to hang out near the restaurant while our grandchild got passed from person to person so that I could take Isabelle outside (if she got cranky), and give her a ride in her stroller. I think that the Shower guests can keep Isabelle entertained for the duration of the shower.

No, the Curley day doesn't end when the shower does. We are off to a house party / cookout this evening. Even if my body isn't working at 100 %, I will never say "No" to an invitation.
I actually feel pretty good right now. Two Tums did the trick, and I didn't need to pop a Vicodin.
The birds in the backyard have started chirping already. They know when they see lights on in the Curley house, that it might be time to get up. Yeah Right!

I received a telephone call yesterday from a friend which also made me nauseous. My friend was director of the CYC Center. He was let go on the same day that I was operated on. He goes off to the CYC on this past Monday morning as usual. When he arrived, he was asked to turn in his keys, pack up his stuff, and exit the building. I felt so bad as he is telling me the story because if you knew how hard this guy worked, and the countless and thankless hours that he has devoted his life for the youth of Pittsfield, you would question how his dismissal could even happen. This guy was a teacher in one of the Catholic Schools, and taught our son Michael 5th grade science before he eventually became director of the CYC. Some members of the board didn't like the direction in which the CYC was headed.
My friend is so organized in everything that he does, you would want him working for your company. He has already received a couple of job offers, once people found out that he was dismissed. His dismissal hasn't hit the local newspapers, but it should appear any day now.
I followed him a President of UNICO. He helped me make it through my year as President.
As we ended the telephone conversation, my friend seemed upbeat. It is a bump in the road of life, and I know that my friend will overcome it.

Politics -- I must admit that I haven't been paying too much attention to what is going on in Washington. My healing, and my family are two most important things in my life.

Well, I am going to empty the dishwasher as quietly as possible.
Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: