Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hello on Tuesday From Kansas

Dear Friends,

I am the only one up right now. Isabelle is stirring, but not enough to be picked up.
Making a pot of coffee is my top priority, but the coffee pot which I use in the garage. I would make too much noise trying to get the pot, open and close doors, get mugs from the cupboards, etc.

While on the first leg of the journey from Hartford to Kansas yesterday I got to chatting with a guy in our row. He was on his way to Melbourne, Florida. Delta is the only airline which flies in there. Since he made the reservations only two weeks ago, the flight cost him $800. He had frequent flier miles, and the airlines wanted him to use 40,000 of them. He talked them into using only 32,000 0f those miles which I thought was a lot.
I was chatting about some friends who bought property in Ocala. He she that Ocala was one time noted for their horse farms. This area produced more race horses than Kentucky. He said the Yankee owner once owned a horse farm, and a restaurant. He said that he thought the family sold the restaurant. The guy also told me that you can pretty much pick up a riding horse for free in that area. People are giving the horses away since the economy went bust, and the fact that taking care of a horse is a costly venture. I learn something new everyday!

Social Calendar - I think that we might be heading to Kansas City , Missouri tonight to see their festival of lights in their Quincy Market like district.

Politics -- The Caroline Kennedy saga continues. Does she have any challengers?

Sports -- Anyone qualified to coach an NFL Team. There are a lot of openings with all the firings which have taken place.
I might overdose on College football today.

Weather -- It will be a high of 50 degrees in Kansas before a cold front comes in this afternoon with 30 mile per hour winds.

Birthday Follow up for Isabelle -- The balloons were the biggest hit of the party. The adults had more fun with her birthday presents.

Local Stuff -- We received word that our Italian Sister City wants to send over 12 students and three chaperons to spend two weeks in Pittsfield on August 12, 2009. They need host families to put them up, and they want someone to teach the 13 to 18 year students English. I wish I listened and learned Italian when my mother and her family, and the neighbors spoke the language as I was growing up. We will be hosting some of the Italian Guests for sure.

Have to go. I have to make coffee for the Queen. The Curley Lad

No comments: