Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

The outdoor lights in front of the house, and on the deck were working great as daylight dissipated on Tuesday. I worked from 8 AM until 3:30 PM setting up the decorations, stopping only for bathroom breaks. I ache all over, but there is always some pill to alleviate the pain.

Linda had a fun time at MahJongg, but she didn't win that many games. She still came home in good spirits.

We shared our pork loin rib roast with a couple that had just driven back from Atlanta. They not only visited their son and his wife, but they witnessed the birth of their first grandchild.
The pork roast itself was good! As I cut up the meat, I soon realized that I paid for a lot of bones.

Speaking of grandchildren, our friends made the same comment that it is too bad that their grandchild, and ours live so far away.
Years ago, everyone pretty much lived close to one another. There is one family in Pittsfield ( who I taught many of the offspring) where almost every house on the street is occupied by members of the same family, but different generations.
It is like living in a little village in Italy where generation after generation were born, raised, lived, and died in the same town. Life was so simple back then (but difficult too).

Linda and I are going to work on decorating the inside of the house today. I feel that it is going to take several days to accomplish this task. Linda first has to remove the fall decorations, before she evens thinks about putting up Christmas decorations.
I will be at Linda's beck and call. I am the guy who will be hauling buckets back and forth from the garage to the house. I took down so many buckets yesterday that we had to park our two cars in the driveway overnight.
I also am the guy who hangs the multitude of wreaths which adorn every room in the house including our basement.
I am hoping that when Linda goes through all of the buckets that some old decorations might be thrown out. Not! We even have buckets labeled "Old Decorations", and what they are.
It is difficult for Linda to part with anything. I hope that our children are reading this e-mail. When Linda and I depart this earth (many years from now), our children will have to deal with these "Treasures". I have a vision of many dumpsters filled to the maximum after our children pick out what they think are family heirlooms.

Linda is hosting next Tuesday's session of MahJongg. The Jewish women look forward to seeing all the Christmas decorations which Linda sets up throughout the house. Yes, they have great powers of observation, and they will know if Linda sets out new and different ones compared to last year.

I am nervous about setting up our artificial tree. Last year, I had to add sets of lights in places where the lights didn't work. This might be the last year for this artificial tree.
We might return to a real tree next year. I think that I threw out all of the old tree stands after we fell in love with the fake tree.

My social calendar is free tonight, but Linda is going out with about half of her Book Club members to an Italian Restaurant. Trying to get a whole bunch of people together for a single event is a difficult task. Dinning out seemed to be more pleasant direction to go in.

Politics -- The politicians finally used the word "Recession". It is not a word we Americans want to hear. Actually, I think it is a reality check. It gives us time to evaluate how and where we are spending our money. Linda and I are directing our expenditures on items which we need, and not on what we think we need.

Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and get that second cup of coffee.
Have a great Wednesday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: