Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Monday went as planned.
Linda was appointment free, but she had a great deal of stuff around the house to keep herself busy before she left for some afternoon errands.

I forgot to check my calendar because I was supposed to take my father for a "follow up" visit at the pain clinic in Pittsfield. Luckily he called, and said that I didn't have to pick up up, and bring him there. I met him at the place for the 1:30 PM appointment.
After the appointment , I went home, but my father continued on to the Target Store to get a new electric blanket.

Speaking of things to keep you warm, I forgot that Linda's sister lives in the middle of the State of Massachusetts in Worcester. She too experienced the loss of power for several days. Her description of the days without power sure didn't sound like much fun.
The stories continued at my UNICO meeting last night since one of my board members is a volunteer fireman for a Berkshire County hill towns called Hinsdale. He too lost power. His house requires electricity to get water from his well, and to flush his toilets. He and his wife used the the toilets at the firehouse. He was lucky enough to have a gas fired fireplace to make it through each night without power. He was just ready to fire up a generator, which a friend had lent him, when he got his power restored. He said that when every thing returns to normal, he is going to purchase his own generator so that he will never be without power again.
This UNICO friend said that he spent most of his waking hours on calls through out his town and a neighboring town. He said the hardest thing was getting down roads that had trees, tree branches, broken telephone poles, etc. lying across them. They rescued one frightened 88 year old lady who starting to have a heart attack. Yes, my friend is a certified EMT who can work those paddles that you see on all those doctor programs.
My friend, and Linda's sister said that they threw out all the food in their refrigerators, and freezers.
Since we have electric stoves, and if we lost power, I would have fired up the gas grill on the deck, the grill which I use for tailgating, and a table top gas canister grill and cook as much food from the refrigerator which I could cook. The first thing that I would cook is a 10 pound turkey which is in my my freezer in the garage.
The electric lines are underground on our street.

Our friends from Tewksbury will be dropping off 87 year old Dad Brodeur today at his New Hampshire home. He received word that his power was restored.
Jerry's son and his wife still have no power at their New Hampshire home. The son decided to stay at their home while his wife remains as a guest in the Brodeur home in Tewksbury.

There are still people without power, but the situation is improving every day.

Linda has MahJongg today.
I have a 2 PM meeting with our Irish Sister City Committee. We have to work out the details of our January 25, 2009 "Irish Go Italian" pasta dinner fund raiser. We will be using the kitchen at St. Mark's School.

I fell asleep watching Monday Night Football in the basement. Linda heard me snoring.

Well, we are in for a little taste of winter for the next few days. It is always nice to have a little of the white stuff for Christmas. It is better to have snow than ice.

Have to go and get a second cup of coffee.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: