Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Yes, we had another pleasant day on Monday.

I will give you an example of how great these past few days have been going. Linda enters a Chinese Auction at the Sacred Heart Church Craft's Fair which she went to on Saturday. When were home on Saturday evening, the telephone rings, and a lady says that Linda won a $10 gift certificate for an actual Chinese Restaurant. A few minutes later, and while Linda was talking to Danielle in Kansas, the lady calls again, and said that Linda won a pair of his and hers Geneva watches. The tag in the box, which I know has an inflated price, says that they watches have a value of $250. Linda invested $5 for the raffle tickets.

After a quiet morning of me watching the recording of the Patriot football game, and Linda making another crock pot soup, we went off in different directions. Linda did a little Christmas shopping while I went to visit with my parents before taking my father for a follow up visit doctor's appointment at 3:30 PM. This was an unscheduled event for me since my sister was going to take him to the doctor. She was home sick fighting a severe cold so I said I would deal with dear old dad. The visit went well!
Since most doctor's appointments are never on time, I went directly to my UNICO Board meeting which started at 5:30 PM after dropping my father back to his home in Lee.

When I arrived home from my board meeting, we had the crock pot soup. It was a spicy tortellini soup. It was wonderful! You top the soup off with a little grated cheese, and crumple some nachos in the soup instead of using oyster crackers.

The crock pot is fired up once again. Linda decided to make a chicken and vegetable soup for the Tuesday Mah Jongg session, which she is hosting today. We couldn't use yesterday's soup since some of the ladies have an issue with anything which has tomatoes in it. Being a bit spicy would probably be a negative too.

The board meeting well. It lasted exactly one hour. Starting the meeting at 5:30 PM instead of 6 PM was a big hit also. Only one board member came at 6 PM instead of 5:30 PM. Of course, I sent him a reminder e-mail, but he is one of those people who tries to stay away from computers. His family members never relayed the message.

Well, we are giving up our( mostly me) usual Tuesday Irish session at the pub just west of our home. There is a trivial pursuit game on Tuesday night at a pub in downtown Pittsfield. Our friends have been asking us to attend. You can only say "No" just a couple of times. The festivities don't start until 8:30 PM so it looks like I will need a nap for sure this afternoon.

Politics -- To bailout or not bail out, that is the question. If people remember, when Lee Iacocca was running GMC several years ago, our government loaned his company millions of dollars. He and his company paid back the loan before it was due. I am not convinced that letting the car manufacturers go bankrupt is the way to go. Of course, there better be a sound financial plan in place before the government lends them anything.
I also like Obama's plan to institute a public works program to get some unemployed people back to work during these difficult times. This is something that a democratic administration did in the World War II era. If we haven't learned from the past we are doomed to repeat it as the saying goes.

Have a great day.
I am looking forward to another pleasant one. The Curley Lad

No comments: