Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello on New Year's Day

Dear Friends,
We spent a pleasant Wednesday in Kansas. Mike took down the out door Christmas Decorations while Linda and Danielle went out to the grocery store for a Prime Rib Roast and some raw shrimp. Isabelle was taking her morning nap.
We had a wonderful New Year's Eve supper of prime Rib, home made scalloped potatoes, and corn from the garden of Danielle's parents. Instead of bread, Linda whipped up some delicious popovers. Isabelle sat in her high chair , and ate right along with us. Isabelle is a broccoli queen. She eats such good and healthy food, and I hope that she continues to do so for the rest of her life.
After Isabelle went to bed, the four adults tried to stay awake until midnight by playing cards. The women versus the men contest of cribbage was a mostly female winning event. As we finished playing cards, and checked the clock, and there was still a good deal of time until the ball dropped in New York. I had the idea that we might be able to see the ball drop at 11 PM Central time which was midnight in New York. I turned on the telvision to a CNN Channel, and to my surprise they were doing the countdown in New York City. We were able to usher in the New Year at 11 PM central time which meant that I didn't have to worry about staying up until midnight.

Today is a day of eating leftovers. We are saving our appetite for our Saturday night meal at Lydia Batista's restaurant here in Kansas. Linda and I and some friends have eaten at her restaurant in New York City, and we are hoping to have the same experience when we go on Friday night.

My mother's stent procedure went well in Pittsfield. I don't know what is planned now that she has her back brace, and the aneurysm problem solved. I am not sure if she will be able to come home or have to go to a rehab facility.

Politics -- My son couldn't stand to watch the Clintons pull the lever for the ball to drop in New York City. He had to leave the room until the ball started to drop. Just a few years ago, our son shook hands with President Clinton at the Air Force Academy on graduation day. That is probably the closest he has gotten to a liberal in years except for Linda and I.

Well, I hear Isabelle stirring in her crib. She will need a diaper change which I am a little leary of since I seem to always put the diaper on backwards.
We are looking forward to another wonderful day with our grandchild. She is such a happy baby, and has such super parents, how can the day be anything but great?

Have to go and start a pot of coffee.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: