Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,
We had another pleasant day in Kansas. We ended the day at a barbecue place near Kansas University. It is a cute college town a lot like Northampton, MA which has four or five colleges in the area. The ribs were excellent. It one one dollar canned beer happy hour when we arrived. Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Schlitz (for me). Linda and Danielle started off will a couple of sipps of their beers before they gave them to me. They replaced their beers with with Bloody Mary's.

I forgot to mention that before the evening adventure, Isabelle had her one year check up. The nurse had to draw some blood. Finding veins in a one year old was quite a challenge. I wasn't there went it happened. I am glad that I wasn't because I don't like needles. Linda reported that all went well.

We arrived home in time so that I could watch another college football bowl game. Yes, I watched the whole game. I was cheering for Ohio State to win the game so that I could send a few congratulatory lines for my relatives in Ohio who are diehard fans of the Buckeyes. Not! The Buckeyes will still be known as the team which can't win the big one.

On a different note, today is our last full day with our grandchild. Linda is already preparing to shed a few tears when we are dropped off at the airport on Wednesday morning.
We might also be shedding a few tears because it looks like mother nature might alter our flight plans. Some ice is heading east just about the time which our plane is supposed to arrive in Hartford.

I am reading another of my son's recommended books. This one is written by Bill O'Reilly from "The Factor" fame. One thing that jumped out at me is when he gave up after two years of teaching in the early 70's. He liked the job of teaching, but he saw too many students in his class arriving from dysfunctional families. The mom and dad roll model type of families which he and I grew up with was starting to disappear.
One of the basic themes in the book is to go to school, work hard, and don't expect handouts, or the government to solve all of your problems. He wasn't telling this baby boomer anything new!

Politics -- I am taking a break for a while.

It is another sonny and blue sky day here in Kansas. It is cool, but still no snow in the forecast. Actually, it has been pretty much the same everyday since we have been here. I think that I like the challenges of the Northeast weather. Change is good as Obama would say!

Have a great Tuesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: