Friday, March 27, 2009

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,

Our Thursday went as planned for the most part. My hairstylist did a wonderful job on my hair. We had to vacuum the floor, our bodies, and the chair. If it was warmer, Linda would have cut my hair outdoors so that the birds could recycle my hair for their nests.

Speaking of the outdoors, a friend who lives in a neighboring hill town said that the bears have emerged from their winter hibernation. The females will be teaching their newborn cubs where to go for an easy meal especially at the bird feeders in our yard.

Linda and I did visit Mom in Lee. After an hour and one half visit with Mom, we did do lunch at an eatery in Lee.

We then headed to a grocery store which had some dollar off coupons. Linda was carrying her coupons from the Sunday newspaper also. Since Linda knows her prices, we bought specific items where the coupons doubled. Linda loved it when the clerk and the sales slip said that she saved $36 dollars. Linda was thinking of asking friends who don't shop at the "Big Y" to give her their sales flier.

Fence mending -- I spent a couple hours at the Italian American Club with my friends who knew I made a little political mistake thus losing a major food donor. They said "Curley don't worry about it!" They got the food loss covered, and they told me about some other things that better not go into this e-mail.
While at the Italian American Club, I met a former member of UNICO. I went through the whole scenario of what I said. He sort of laughed, and said what trivial stuff this really is. He has a wife who has lung cancer (never smoked, and a runner well into her early seventies). She was told that she had four months to live. He said that he has prostate cancer, and colon cancer. Since he is a carpenter, they are thinking that his wife got the cancer from cleaning his clothes which were often loaded with asbestos type of materials. Like he said, "In the scheme of things, what is the big deal of making thirty or forty pounds of pasta, or making a few containers of egg plant Parmesan, in comparison to waking up daily dealing with life or death issues."

This is why I tell people that "Life is good". Sometimes I have to be reminded of that. Focusing on the little stuff will kill you. Enjoy life every waking moment that you are on earth.

While I was at the club, the candidate whom I supported had to leave. They took his 82 year old father to the hospital. His father has been dealing off and on with colon cancer for years. Here we go again --> Life and death issues take precedent over any of the other stuff.

Social Calendar -- I am on my own this evening. A bunch of us UNICO brothers are going off to a soccer fund raiser after some visibility sign holding for our candidate at 4 PM at a busy intersection. We will then head off to Cranwell Resort & Spa for a Gourmet Dinner like the one which we had at my installation, and not the typical pasta fundraiser. If they were taking their wives, Linda would have been joining me.
Yes, I will squeeze in a visit with Mom at some point today.

Politics -- More U.S. troops are heading to Afghanistan. The war on terrorism is never ending.
Of course there is the usual mayhem throughout the rest of the world.

My sports talk radio program, that I usually put on to help me to get me to go to sleep, actually kept me awake. They brought up the topic of a police chase of the Professional Football Player trying to get his wife to see her mother just before she died of breast cancer. The football player had his flashers on, and stopped, and went through a Red Light. A policeman, with three years experience, chased the car to a hospital parking lot. By the time that the officer got the car and the driver under control, his mother-in-law died while the policeman was arguing with the football player. I can see both sides of the story since four policeman were killed a few days ago in Oakland, CA at a routine traffic stop. Do bad guys drive their cars to a hospital with their flasher lights on? Common sense didn't prevail!

I have to finish my morning routine.
Hope that you all have a great weekend.
The Curley's will be having one for sure.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: