Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

Our Friday went as planned. I arrived at Berkshire Medical Center before Mom had breakfast. I assisted her with breakfast so that the sitter could take her morning break. A little after 9 AM, I called my sister t, who was baby sitting for one of her grandchildren, and asked her how her evening visit went with Mom on Thursday. Mom didn't even remember that I sat with her from 8 AM until 1:30 PM on Thursday. I changed my strategy about staying with her after that comment. I decided to leave the hospital, and check on my father at their home in Lee. He was winning the battle with his cold. He said that he slept well on Thursday after taking some Nyquil type of product at bedtime. He did say that the check out person asked him his age when he paid for the product. Nyquil products have about 25 % alcohol, and some people might be consuming them instead of purchasing a bottle of booze from the liquor store.

I went home and had some leftovers with Linda, and took a power nap while Linda went off to do a little recreational shopping.

Yes, we did go to the Shamrock for supper, but we dinned with a couple of Linda's female friends whom she also plays Mah Jongg with.

Linda and I went directly home after supper, and I watched a sporting contest while Linda watched some recorded television programs.

Speaking of sports, my Boston Celtics won their game against the number one team in their division. They are now one game behind the division leaders. Go Celtics!

Politics -- The stock market ended "up" for a change, but the increase was small.
Every time I see the value of General Electric Stock at its current level, I think of all the people in Pittsfield and Berkshire County whose nest egg has been reduced to almost nothing. General Electric used to employ 12,000 people in the 70's. They don't exist in Pittsfield anymore, and most people are asking themselves what "good things that they really did bring to life?" We are still dealing with the environmental mess of the PCB's which have leached into the Housatonic River, and beyond.

Pot Holes & Manhole Covers -- I have been putting some serious miles on my car driving to nursing homes, and hospitals since December 25, 2008 which is when Mom had her first health issue. I can't believe the number of pot holes, and sunken manhole covers that are everywhere in Berkshire County. Some are so big, I swear that they can swallow up my car. Today the temperatures should rise into the 50's. I would pay the guys over time just to cold patch these defects in the roads. I don't think that there is any road in and out of Pittsfield which couldn't do with some sort of repair.
Is there are particular way to build a road, and install manholes without them turning into death traps for our vehicles. Maybe the road builders, and the car repair places are in collusion with one another?

Social Calendar -- As soon as Linda wakes up, I have to become baker man. I am going to make a double batch of Irish Soda Bread. Some will be for the Soda Bread Contest at George's Liquor store today from 3 PM to 6 PM, and some will be for Linda and I. I might even have enough to give to my father. I will bring some to Mom at the hospital too. I wish that I had some right now. There is nothing better than butter on a toasted slice of soda bread.
For my soda bread to win first prize won't be easy, but I am up for the challenge

Today our cars will get a good washing and cleaning inside and out. I will clean them in our driveway.

Yes, I will visit dear old mom at some point, but the visit will be brief. She might have already been moved to a regular room. She was disconnected to at least one monitor when I visited her on Friday.

There is a Polenta Dinner (with Chicken & Sausage) this evening at the Italian American Club, but I didn't purchase tickets. I hesitated because I wasn't sure about Mom and her health issues. The Polenta Dinner might be sold out.

Don't for get to change the clocks before you go to bed this evening, Spring ahead! This change is usually not a good one for Linda. I love it! At least, I will be able to see the chirping birds when I get up so early.

Have to finish my morning routine, and then gather the ingredients for my soda bread.
I have a full day ahead of me.
Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: