Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

Our Saturday went as planned. While I was in Lee preparing lunch (a steak dinner with all the fixings) for Dad and Aunt Gladys, Linda was busy taking down the last remnants of winter, St. Patrick's Day, and putting out Easter decorations. Linda couldn't complete her task because she needed my help accessing buckets, and rearranging them. She did admit that she might be getting a little tired doing these seasonal changes year after year.
I went from Lee to the hospital to visit Mom. She was just getting moved from the bed to a chair. I thought that she was a little groggy, but she still is receiving antibiotics for an infection.

Speaking of steak, the house party which we attended was wonderful. The host and hostess served a perfectly grilled steak dinner with fresh green beans, and and a salad. Our hosts are into eating healthy meals with no carbohydrates, white bread, etc. They did break this rule when it came to desserts. The lady of the house made some puff like things, and stuffed them with vanilla ice cream. She then put out four flavors (3 were heated) of syrups to go over these homemade concoctions. Some of us did have seconds.

Social Calendar -- I am totally free today with the exception of seeing Mom in the hospital. Linda and a girl friend are heading south county to the Lee outlets in the afternoon. They will head even further south to do dinner and a concert which takes place at the Mahaiwe Theater in Great Barrington.
I will be preparing for my two Monday radio shows while watching some NCAA basketball on the tube.

Politics-- The usual mayhem throughout the United States, and the world.
Obama is still feeling the heat from his Special Olympics comment. Not too long ago, people with specials needs were institutionalized. Also, not to long ago, the special education budget was a minimal part of school budgets throughout the country. Today, special education is 25 to 30 % of every school budget.
I was asked by one of of e-mail readers if I would have pooh poohed Obama's comment if President Bush had made the same comment. I would have said it was no big deal in the context of the way it was said. Obama was making fun of his own bowling skills. We often do things through out the day in our daily lives that we might think that we could very easily fit into a Special Olympic venue, but we don't come out and say that.
I had a parent of a special needs student tell me that he appreciated the one on one treatment that his wheel chair bound adopted child was getting from the teacher who was with the student all day long. The parent told me that he was so happy that his child was able to write his name after a year of one on one treatment. He also did say that it didn't seem fair to pay a teacher to deal with one child who could not be a functioning, and productive member of society. I asked him to go to the microphone at a school committee meeting and say what he told me. The parent never did take up my offer.

Well, I better end this e-mail before I get myself into trouble. I don't want the Special Needs people protesting in front of my door.

Have a great Sunday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: