Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Tuesday was a long day for the Curley Lad as well as other family members. I arrived at Berkshire Medical Center before the 7 AM to 3 PM shift began. I headed straight the Intensive Care Unit to be with Mom. Family members made it to the hospital at various times through out the day. There were six of us (Marie, Tom , Christopher, Dad, and Linda and I) together when they wheeled Mom down for surgery a little before 6:30 PM. We were the only people left in a room at the hospital which is set aside for families waiting to hear from doctors after the surgery.
Mom never came out of surgery until 10:30 PM. Yes, you heard the correct time. Mom was in surgery for 4 hours. The arterial blood clot was taken care of, and the blood is flowing normally. The doctor said that it was one of the most difficult surgeries of the day.
The doctor was so exhausted looking when he gave us the good news. He said that he was going to sleep in the hospital since he has to be at the hospital at 7:30 AM this morning.
As we left the hospital at 10:45 AM , I was thinking about all the athletes who sign for outrageous some of money, and whine all the way to the final contract signing. My hero is the doctor who worked on my mother, and not the Manny Ramierez's of the sport's world. These doctors should be making the outrageous salaries. They spent 7 to 10 years of their lives in the minor leagues (as residents, etc.) after four years of college before they were on any team, like a hospital staff. Don't we have our priorities all wrong once again?

Linda and I did visit a friend on a floor below the ICU unit who had Gastric Bypass Surgery. She was doing well. I asked her what she will be allowed to eat for the next few weeks. She will be on a liquid diet for three weeks, pureed food for the following three weeks, and then she will be allowed solid food in small quantities after that. She isn't allowed carbonated beverages.
I think that when the Good Lord takes me, I will die with a full figure, and a smile on my face. If my arteries do get a little clogged, I know of a good doctor who could help me to last a few years longer.

Politics -- The usual mayhem throughout the world continues. The stock market has a week pulse.
We lost some American soldiers in Mosul. Isn't this such a causal remark? Some family has lost a son or daughter, or a mother or a father. It sounds like it is not a big deal, but it is such a heart wrenching event for any family.

Mah Jongg went well at our house yesterday. Linda was the big winner. The ham and pea soup was a big hit. There is one small serving size container left. I will freeze it , and save it for Mom when she gets home from the hospital.

We gave up Mom's bed at the Kimball Farms nursing home. To save it, you still have to pay for it even if she is not there.

When Mom is discharged, we will decide where Mom is going next. Hopefully it might be to home in Lee.
Mom has not been home since December 25, 2008.

Social Calendar -- I will be heading back to the ICU unit at the hospital in a little while. It should be a happier occasion than it was yesterday. Mom and I had no food yesterday until I hit the vending machines around 9 PM. She had the excuse of not eating since she was waiting for surgery.

Have a great Wednesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: