Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

We had a light Saturday even though we did have a 4:30 PM birthday party at a
Church in a neighboring community. The covered dish affair was wonderful. There
were many interesting foods to sample including desserts. The party was alcohol
free because the guest of honor and several of her friends use the Church for AA
meetings. The guest of honor and several friends are also cancer survivors. The
only speaker was the birthday woman. Her basic theme was to thank all the people
who helped get her through all that she has gone through in her life. She didn't
come out and say my exact words, but basically she was saying "Life is good",
and that she is so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful friends and
neighbors. I didn't mention the word "family" because there are some issues
which I can't discuss in this e-mail.

The party ended around 6:30 PM. No, the Curley's didn't go directly home. We
stopped at the home of our friends in West Stockbridge who live next door to the
birthday girl. We did have a glass of wine or two as we socialized for a couple
of hours.
We left West Stockbridge relatively early. I had time to watch the last couple
of innings of the Red Sox game. I didn't even see the end of the game because I
fell asleep while trying to watch the game in bed.

Sports -- The Red Sox and the Yankees did win their respective contests, the
Yankees had an easier time of it. The Red Sox play in the middle of our
afternoon activity today.

Social Calendar -- We are off to another James Taylor event today at
Tanglewood. Today he plays with John Williams, who has written the scores to
many movies. We will be heading to West Stockbridge to once again caravan with
our friends to the grounds of Tanglewood. Another day of fun, food, and
merriment. The food will be mostly leftovers from our Friday night affair.
The gates to the Tanglewood grounds open at noon, and the concert starts at
2:30 PM. At least we will be driving home during the day time. The day is
supposed to be rain free, but I have decided to keep my rain gear in the car
just in case the forecast changes for the worst.

Observation -- I did receive some positive feedback from friends and relatives
about my thoughts of ceasing my e-mails for a week or so. They said that I
should continue with my daily e-mails. They also suggested that the people who
get upset with some of the things that I say should "lighten up." Like I said
yesterday, sometimes the closest friends and relatives provide some of the best
material for some of my thoughts.
One of my friends asked if I met anymore interesting people during my track
walking. The other day, there was a "buns of steel", with no body fat, woman who
was on the track the. She was walking so fast that I couldn't keep up with her.
She even lapped me. I felt like I was about 85 years old compared to this woman.
Speaking of an 85 year old. I chatted with my father yesterday. He told me to
stop providing alcohol to my 92 year old mother when I visit her at the nursing
home.
Tuesday is the first day of school for the students in Pittsfield. I will have
to make a early tee time for that day. My other retired teacher buddies an I
love to wave at the school buses as they go by the first two holes of the golf
course. We established this tradition when we retired, and we will keep doing so
until we can't physically do it any more.

Back to College -- Our friends from West Stockbridge are taking their daughter
back to college in Boston on Monday. I don't envy them at all. They will be
using two cars to haul all of their daughter's stuff to an apartment which the
parents have never seen. Her Mom has bought a whole bunch of stuff at Tag /
Garage sales through out the summer. We saw one of the rooms in their house
filled with a little portion of the stuff which they are taking to the four
person apartment. I think that they possibly could have rented a U-Haul. I know
that our male friend is great at packing, and I have seen him do so when we used
to go camping with them. I am trying to figure out how he is going to pack a tag
sale purchased dresser drawer as well as all the plastic buckets, and boxes,
kitchen items, clothes, craft items (she is an art major at Mass College of Art)
that I saw last night. Also, this is the same guy who fell off the ladder a
couple of months ago, and who hasn't completely healed from that fall.


Well, I have to read the Berkshire Eagle and the Boston Globe, and then start
gathering all the food and materials which we need for today's concert. Yes, I
am starting to overdose on James Taylor. The ride was fun, but a bit long!

Have a great Sunday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: