Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

It was another day where everything went as planned in the Curley household.
Linda made it through two body maintenance procedures while I spent time
cutting the postage size lawn at my parents' home in Lee, and visiting Mom at
the nursing home. Yes, we did go out to my car, and I made a high ball (whiskey
and gingerale) for dear old Mom. She was feeling no physical or emotional pain
when we went back inside the nursing home.

Social calendar -- Linda is going out to lunch with a couple of girlfriends
whose bond is that they woman were all in the hospital around the time that our
son Kevin was born. The women usually try and get together at least twice a
year.
This time one of the topics will be the recent engagement of a son of one of
the women.
Yes, there is a story. The couple was on a trip from Boston to Seattle,
Washington. They had a several of hours to waste before they headed back to the
East Coast so they decided to take a ride up a mountain. They plugged in the GPS
system, and headed up the mountain. The roads went from blacktop, to dirt, to
mud. They ran the car off of the road, and they had to call 911. The local
search and rescue team had to get them and their car off of the mountain. I
think the the ride to the mountain top was supposed to be a time for the
romantic proposal for marriage. Well, they missed their flight back East, but at
least the proposal did happen!

Track walking -- Nothing exciting happened yesterday while I was at the track.
There was one couple who held each others hand as they circled the track.
I got a late start, and it was so hot that I lasted only 45 minutes instead of
my usual hour. It is supposed to be a little cooler today, and I will get an
early start.

After doing my track thing, I will be doing some house cleaning. We have one
couple staying with us on Friday, and Saturday night. There is the possibility
that another couple might be with us also. This Saturday is a bridal shower, and
the Mom and Dad of the "bride to be" has a full house. We will be housing a
Aunts and Uncles of the "bride to be".

Cleaning the house -- I haven't mastered this chore. What I visualize as clean
is not the same as what Linda sees as clean. Maybe psychologically, I want to
fail so that I don't have to do it. Cleaning a bathroom is the worst task, and
most of us males contribute to making it dirty and messy.
When were working, we had a cleaning lady come in every two weeks. Now that we
are on a fixed income, we don't have the luxury of hiring one. Oh Darn!

I have to finish the housework before a 3 PM meeting that I have in Lenox. When
will I have time for my afternoon nap. Yes, I had an hour long nap on Wednesday
after visiting Mom at the nursing home.

Sports -- The Red Sox won their game while the Yankees were winning their game.
Tonight, I will be using the remote control to watch the Red Sox and a Patriot
pre-season game.

Supper -- Last night, we used a restaurant coupon, and ate at Papa Joe's
Restaurant. Papa Joe Columbari, the deceased founder of the restaurant, came
from the same town in Sicily that my grandmother and grandfather on my mother's
side of the family came from, which was Canicatti, Sicily. I had the son in
class in summer school in the early 70's. He runs the business now.

Observation -- My daughter-in-law will be having her first experience traveling
with a baby. There was a time when Kevin and her would just jump in their car
and go. Now she will be packing up the baby, and with all the baby devices. Will
she forget anything? Will she wish that she had a bigger car? Will they be
taking their dogs? Where will they be sitting now that the car is filled with
baby stuff?
The trip will be from Boston to the Danbury, CT area for a family gathering.
Kyla's mom and her parents drove from Florida to the Northeast to see the
newborn, and to celebrate the birthday of her Mom. Her Mom hits the big six zero
this weekend.

Have a great Thursday.
Have to head off to the track while it is still cool.
The fog is so thick that I won't be able to see who is at the track with me.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: