Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,
We had a pleasant day on Monday, but I never found time to cut the grass.
I took a morning walk around the track, and then came home to read the
newspaper, and wait for Linda to wake up. I washed the car while waiting for the
grass to to dry. That is sort of like watching paint dry!

I looked at our busy social calendar, and I realized that Linda is hosting
BONCO next Monday. As the host, she has to purchase nominal gifts for the
winners and losers, etc. Being the sensitive guy that I am, and knowing that she
hasn't purchased any gifts yet, I asked if she wanted to go to the Christmas
Tree Shops to get those gifts. I never saw a woman take a shower, get dressed,
and put on make up, fix her hair, etc. so fast.
We arrived in the New York State store around 1 PM, and shopped until 4:30 PM.
She got her gifts, and we picked up a few items for us. $200 later we exited the
store.
During the ride to the Christmas Tree Shops, Pretzel Rods became our lunch. By
4:30 PM, we were both starving. We ate at an Olive Garden before we headed back
to Pittsfield. I am so glad that we arrived a little before 5 PM. We were seated
immediately.
By the time we left the place the lines were out the door. Maybe senior
citizens who like to eat at 5 PM or earlier know what is best when it comes to
dinning out.

Talking about senior citizens, there was an incident with a mature couple next
to us at Olive Garden. We and they had a young, perky, and experienced waitress
who took orders without writing anything down. Well she really messed up the
elderly gentleman's order. He seem to have wanted everything on the side whether
it was the never ending bowls of salad, or the pasta which he had, the bread
which is lightly basted with garlic butter, etc. The waitress brought back the
meal several times, and things still weren't right.
The elderly man asked to talk to a manager who tried to make it right. The
manager said that she would not even charge them for the meal. He still wasn't
happy! The waitress asked if they wanted to take the meal home, and the man said
"No". I almost turned around said that Linda and I would be happy to take his
free meal home.
The waitress took our order from memory, and never made a mistake. I
complimented her for getting our order correct.

My Red Sox beat the White Sox by another football score of 12 to 8. I think
that the Yankees were idle.

It is a little cooler this morning. I flung open every window on the first
floor to air out the house. The dehumidifier in the basement has been working
non stop.

Social Calendar -- Linda has her Tuesday Mah Jongg from 11:30 PM. I have a
10:56 AM tee time with three other guys.
No, our day doesn't end with Mah Jongg or golf. We are going out to an Italian
restaurant, called Mazzeo's, with another couple to celebrate our anniversary
and our friend's too. Our anniversaries are about a week apart. We did this for
the first time last year, and Linda and I and the other couple decided that we
should so every year.
I am going to try and cut the lawn before golf whether the grass is wet or dry.
If I don't do it today, I will have to hire a farmer to come in with his tractor
like he was cutting hay for his cows.

News -- Another elderly driver had his license taken away in Massachusetts. The
79 year old man went through a stop sign at a construction site, and hit and
killed a policeman.
Elderly drivers actually do not cause the most accidents, but they do get the
most bad press when the news is reported.

Politics -- Our President is playing golf on Martha's Vineyard. I wish my tee
time was with him this morning.

Family Heritage -- I found out, by way of one of Linda's sisters, that Linda's
heritage is not 1/2 Italian, and 1/2 Irish which we have been telling everyone.
Her heritage is 1/2 Italian, and 1/4 Irish and 1/4 English. It seems like
Linda's Irish grandfather (Kiley) married a woman (Roberts) whose was Irish and
English.

Have a great Tuesday.
Linda and I will have a great one for sure whether she win or loses at Mah
Jongg, and even if my ball striking is less than perfect.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: