Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

Friday went okay despite the rain. Golf with my senior buddies lasted only 5 holes for the group before we packed up and went home.
While I was attempting to dodge rain drops, Linda was socializing with her retiree girlfriends at their monthly breakfast.

We both decided to make an appearance at the City Hall reception for our Italian Sister City guests. The reception went well. The leftovers were consumed by the workers in City hall which made cleanup easy.

For the rest of the afternoon, Linda and I went in separate directions. She went off to do lunch, and attend a play. I went home to bake my soda breads, and my Irish Whiskey Cake after I picked up the 50 pounds of Irish Banger for the Sunday Ethnic Fair.

Speaking of the Ethnic Fair, the forecast gets worse each day. According to the weather forecast, we now have a 60% chance of rain on Sunday, and it is going to start during the early afternoon. Cooking in the rain is never that much fun. I am hoping that people do come out despite the rain, but I am not sure if I would. I might leave several pounds of Irish bangers in my freezer.

Politics -- The Republican National Committee had a summer summit. One of the Republicans decried the Beer summit at the White House. If this is the highlight of their platform, they will be in trouble as they plan to take a run at President Obama when his first term ends.

Sports -- Ortiz seems to be in a good mental frame of mind despite the scandal. He whacked another home run on their way to a 6 to 5 victory in Baltimore. The Yankees lost their game against Chicago. Go Red Sox!
The Red Sox made some good trades as the deadline ended yesterday. I hope that they work out well for the Red Sox.

For supper on Friday, I was invited to hook up with Linda and two girl friends. One of the girl friends was starving so we were seated by 5:30 PM. Some of us thought that 5:30 PM was a bit early. The early time turned out to be a great idea. The placed was packed, with people waiting, as we exited the Shamrock. It was early enough that I didn't miss a minute of the Red Sox game.

Observation -- We have a small market on the Pittsfeid / Lenox line where I order my Irish Bangers from. At noon on Friday, the place was packed. I couldn't even find a shopping cart which are half the size of our regular grocery store carts. I don't know what attracts the people to this market. I like the fruits, vegetables, cheeses, and meats,and wines, but I can't afford to shop there. Their meat market is like the old fashion markets where none of the meats are in packages. They have four or five butchers working at all times.
The people in this store are very seldom locals, and many own second homes.
All these people are shopping at his store while there are two chain grocery stores just a 1/4 mile away, one north and one south of this market. They must give people what they want, or they wouldn't still be in business.
I say: "Job well done!"

Social Calendar -- We are free for the moment, but I do have cutting the lawn as one of the items on my agenda.
There also is a lawn party fundraiser at a Catholic Church in Lenox. One of my UNICO brothers is in charge of the pasta making. He didn't ask for my help, but if I did go, he would find something for me to do.
I think that Linda and her girlfriends have a road trip planned which might include some recreational shopping.
I can see a cookout for supper since the weather forecasters say that we should have a rain free day.

Have to go.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: