Thursday, September 16, 2010

dear Friends,

Yesterday went as planned with respect to Linda and me workking in the basement. While we were doing our thing, a floor guy finished putting about 18 inches wide by 20 feet long of laminated flooring in the basement. Another guy is coming at 8 AM to make the seam between the wood, and the carpet.

Linda and I really tried to throw out things during our clean up. We have to hang a few things on the wall. The damaged ceiling tiles have to be replaced, and I think that that will be the end of the restoration project.
Every bone in our body ached when we got finished for the day.

I had forgotten that Wednesday at 6 PM is her knitting group gathering at Panera Bread. I was content to be home alone watching a little sports, and reading a book.
I had all intentions of going off to the hospital to visit with Mom, but the lady who purchased our Neon was running late. She was supposed to be at our house around 6 PM, but it ended up arriving closer to 7 PM. I will go to the hospital this morning. My sister did call and said that Mom had perked right up, and appeared to be returning to normal. I will get all the details when I see her this morning.

It was so sad to see the Neon drive off into the sunset. We have had that beauty since 1996.
Even though Linda cancelled the ad in the newspaper after only one day since we sold the car, people kept calling the house. A guy walking down our street, as I was waiting for the lady who bought the Neon, stopped by and asked if it was for sale when he noticed that the license plates had been removed. Even the floor guy, who was at our house, asked if the car, was for sale.

While we were in the basement working, I received a very interesting call around noontime. I saw that there was a 3 (international code for Spain) in front of an unfamiliar telephone number. I answered the telephone call, which I normally don’t do if I don’t recognize the number. To my surprise it was Ramon Davila who was an exchange student from Spain who lived with us during our son Kevin’s last year of high school in 1995. We chatted for a while, and I told him about how everyone in our family is doing. I told him that our two sons are married, and they have children of their own. I asked Ramon if he was married, and he said not yet. He does have a girlfriend who might be moving in with him.
I asked him what he does for a living. He said that he was a lawyer (like his dad), and he is also an IT person. He said that he teaches tennis also. I told them that he and his family are welcome to stay with us if they ever come to the east coast of the United States again.
In our 10 minute conversation, I did remind him that the last time that we had a live Christmas tree (until last year) was when Linda, Ramon, and me went to a local Christmas tree farm, and he cut down a fresh tree. This was a first time experience for him.
We exchanged e-mails so that we can stay in touch with one another. I also said that if he ever flew into Logan, I could pick him up, and we can eat at Kevin’s restaurant “”Dough East Boston” since it is 1.1 miles form the airport.
Our son Kevin, and Ramon are the same age  33 years old.

My Sports Illustrated magazine came to the house yesterday. The quarterback for the Patriots was on the front cover of the magazine. When some sports stars make the front cover of this magazine, it is often the “kiss of death.” The good thing about the article was that they didn’t praise Tom Brady too much on how talented he really is. Often, when an article tells how wonderful that the guy on the front cover is, the athlete has a bad year. Let us hope that this curse doesn’t work for Brady.

The Patriots have a 4:15 PM game this weekend against their division rival, the New York Jets. I will be in my renovated “Man cave” watching the game from start to finish. There is a covered dish affair this weekend at a friend’s place. If Linda so chooses to go, she will be without me.

Linda is driving a loaner car as of last evening. The repairs done to our recently purchased Kia Sportage, and the final cleanup of the car couldn’t be done at the close of business on Wednesday.
I could have used the Kia yesterday because there are a whole bunch of items in the garage that I want to take to our local Resource Recovery plant. These are big items which I can’t easily fit into my Legacy wagon. Do you think that Linda will let me use the Kia?
Actually I am going to cut up any large wooden items so that they can fit in my car. I want the newness of the Kia to last a few weeks before I mess it up.

Third Thursday – I made an Irish Whiskey Cake before Linda woke up on Wednesday. I picked up the Irish Bangers too.
The weather forecast for today might be a problem. Light afternoon rain, and thunderstorms this evening could put a damper on the event. Even though they close down the streets for the Third Thursday, I am not sure if people want to walk the streets in the rain. I will think positive, and hope that the rains hold off until the 5 PM to 8 PM event is over.
A bunch of us are going off to Patrick’s Pub at 8:30 PM to continue with more fun and merriment. We do have an Irish band which will provide entertainment during The Third Thursday event. A different Irish Band will be playing a Patrick’s Pub.

If any of my local e-mail readers want to join Linda and me at the Irish Festival at the Saratoga Fair grounds this weekend, there is still room on the bus. The cost is $25 per person as long as you are recommended by a member (Linda and Me). The bus leaves at 11 AM at the South Street / Clinton Ave. Parking lot, and leaves Saratoga at 11 PM. The weather for Saturday is total sunshine and temperatures near 70 degrees. Respond to this e-mail if you are interested.

Well, I had trouble sleeping again last evening. I still have too many things on my mind. I think that I might need a week or two of no commitments. Well, this won’t happen until January of 2011 or later.

Have to do some quiet chores, and finish my morning routine.
Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: