Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,



Another day went as planned. I played a quick nine holes of golf after Linda dropped me off at the golf course. We dropped the Neon off to see if the repair shop could fix the gauges at a reasonable price. It is getting very close to us replacing the Neon.



My golf was a little better on Wednesday. I cut down the number of miss hits. My putting let me down which is usually one of the better parts of my game.



Linda’s eye appointment went well. Our optometrist had a new machine that can do so much more when testing a person’s eye. When Linda goes to the Optometrist it is usually takes close to two hours for her.



I got a ride home after golf, and took a wonderful afternoon nap.



Linda went off to her Wednesday Knitting group at Panera Bread at 6 PM. She said that all the teachers who were there in the summer, weren’t there last evening.



I stayed home and watched the Red Sox, and read a book after cooking myself supper. I found two lonely spare ribs in the freezer. I made a barbecue sauce concoction, and cooked them in the electronic pressure cooker. They turned out wonderful.



By skipping a gathering at Dream A Way Lodge, I missed a guest appearance by Arlo Guthrie (who lives in Berkshire County). Oh Darn!

Our guest from Ireland has been enjoying herself quite a bit on her vacation here in the Berkshires, Today she is going on a boat ride on Onota Lake with a Sister City friend who lives on the lake. She is meeting with our Mayor too.

Friday it is a girls’ night out at the Dakota Restaurant. Linda has already said “yes” to that invitation. After dinner, all of us are going to a house party until the “wee” hours of the morning.



Observation – Most of you know my saying that “life is a crapshoot”. Well this week I found out that a baby boomer from another town, who was a three sport athlete, is fighting prostate cancer (the aggressive kind).

One of Linda’s book club ladies was diagnosed with colon cancer. She was in surgery on Wednesday. The female surgeon was a former student of mine, and the surgeon is considered one of the best at Berkshire Medical Center. The woman and the doctor were hoping that the cancer was localized. The woman’s son is getting married, and she hopes that she would be okay for the upcoming wedding.

The television doctor “Dr. Oz”, who was made famous by Oprah Winfrey, let his colonoscopy be done live on national television while he was awake. He was shocked to see that he had a precancerous polyp. This 50 year doctor has no body fat, and he works out daily, eats the right food, and has written several books on what to do to stay healthy.

Yes, there are things that all of us should do to stay healthy, but a lot of the health issues which we seem to develop over time come right back to genetics.

We have friends who developed breast cancer, and their Mom’s had the disease too.

We have friends who have heart problems, and their dad’s had those same issues too.

Here is the Curley Lad with Mom soon to be 94 years old at the end of September, and Dad turning 87 in early November.

I know that my habits need a little improvement if I am going to live as long as my parents have. These recent health issues, which people whom I know are dealing with, are the motivation for me to enjoy every moment that I am on this earth, and not sweat the little stuff!



Social Calendar – Linda has breakfast with the retirees, and a body maintenance appointment early afternoon. I will be working in the basement while Linda is doing her thing until my 3 PM meeting that was cancelled last week. The meeting takes place at our home.



Sports – I did watch a little of the Red Sox game last night. Even though they beat the second place team in their division, it still remains a “Wait until next year” when this season comes to a close.



Have a great Thursday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: