Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,



Our Wednesday went as planned. I came home after a quick nine holes of golf. The painter was finishing up the last of the painting. I did take his business card. I might have him do the deck and the screened in room on the deck next spring. I have done it over the past few years. You can really tell an amateur has done it.



Linda did a little more thinning out of her closet while the painter man was doing his project.



Linda made a couple of sandwiches for our lunch. She really is a good sandwich maker. Maybe she passed that talent onto Kevin. His sandwiches at his restaurant are some of the best in the Boston area.



After lunch, and after the painter finished, Linda went off to do some errands, and I took a nap. Linda was still doing her errands when I woke up. I gave the lawn a trim, and took the clippings to the resource recovery plant.

She once again became a domestic goddess, and prepared a restaurant quality salad. We also had some leftover crock pot soup.

Her girlfriends picked her up at 6:45 PM, and they headed off to BONCO. I was in bed by the time she arrived home. She will fill me in how things went when she wakes up today.



I am free today until 12:50 PM. I am picking up a UNICO friend, who lives a couple houses north of the Curley home, and we are heading off to the ITAM. My friend and I and some other UNICO brothers and sisters will be preparing and serving finger food for a fundraiser for a baby boomer couple. The wife has ALS, and she is failing very fast. The husband, who I played high school football against, has Alzheimer’s disease. This couple has been dealt an awful deck of cards. Neither of them is even able to play the hand that they were dealt. For a husband and wife to be sick at the same time is the worst of the worst.

The actual fundraiser goes from 5 PM until 9 PM. The community has really been rallying in support of this wonderful couple. We are hoping for a great turnout despite the forecast of an all day rain.



On a happier note, we are finally going to get some needed rain. My grass might be green by the time that the storm exits the Berkshires.



Observation – The news had the usual stuff in it, but I did focus on the brawl during a youth football game in Texas. The brief video showed the coaches from both teams in an all out brawl. All the coaches and both teams have now been banned from the league that they were in. What is wrong with these people who deal with our youth? Often the volunteer coaches are frustrated athletes who didn’t fair well when they were playing. They see their children as budding stars in the NFL.

I remember Kevin played hockey in the youth leagues, and eventually at the high school level. I used to stay away from the parents who to thought that their children would continue with hockey after high school, and eventually become professional athletes. These parents used to yell at the referees, pound the glass around the rink at what they thought was a bad call. I didn’t want to be around them.

When I was a high school soccer referee, I did a soccer game at my former high school. One of the parents for the Lee High School team screamed during the whole soccer match. His son was embarrassed by the action of his father. His father never played soccer. There were only three sports when his father went to Lee High; Football, Basketball, and Baseball. At one point during the game the boy went over to his father, and told him to be quiet. His father’s ranting and raving actually broke his son’s concentration.



Massachusetts passed a law that only a few States have enacted; No texting while driving! You can’t even scan the internet while driving. A 16 or 17 year old can’t even talk on the cell phone. Any driver under 18 caught using their cell phone will be fined ($100) and lose their license for 60 days. The law was enacted to save the lives of our young people. I have never texted anyone while driving. I struggle just making a cell phone call to anyone, or answering a call to me. One of these days, we might even get a hands free device for the Kia. Was life simpler without cell phones? Cell phones are a way of life right now.

A few months ago, I stopped in a rest area to make a longer than normal cell phone call. A Sate trooper was there trying to pick up speeders by using his radar gun. He thought that I pulled into this “no sanitary facilities” area to get his help.I was just using common sense about talking on a cell phone and driving. I was ahead of the law Massachusetts just passed.

I wonder if the people who think that government should not butt into our cell phone use will protest the new law.



Have a great Thursday.

I say: “Let the rains fall”, but not flood our area like it did in the Carolina’s.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: