Monday, September 6, 2010

Hello on Labor Day

Dear Friends,



Happy Labor Day!



Our Sunday went as planned for the most part.



I say the most part because my going to Lee to shampoo the stairs at the family home didn’t happen. I couldn’t find the hose to our machine. I looked for the darned thing for over two hours. I knew exactly where everything was before the water damage. I looked in boxes and buckets, and just couldn’t find it. I called dad, and told him of my problem. He said not to worry about, and that I can do the best that I could do after the stair glide is installed.



On the other hand, I did find two bags of summer plastic glasses that were among the missing as summer started. I looked for them for many days, and it took three months before I could finally locate them.



It is a balmy 44 degrees right now in Pittsfield. This is my kind of weather. For two nights in a row, the air conditioners were in the off position.



I took a nap while Linda and her girlfriend did a little recreational shopping on Sunday afternoon. By the time that she retuned home, it was time to head off for the Labor Day picnic.

The picnic was wonderful from appetizers to dessert. Besides the usual cheese and crackers, one couple brought a fruit salad with non typical ingredients, one couple brought some shrimp, another couple brought some bruschetta. The main meal was grilled steak tips, broccoli salad, macaroni salad, grilled vegetables which the Curley’s brought (I cooked them on the Curley grill), and corn on the cob. We had a choice of two different home made pies, one made by the hostess, and one made by one of the guests. As you see from the menu, no one went home hungry. There was much food, fun and merriment before this party came to a close.



Linda mentioned that she is willing to attack the remaining confusion in the basement and the garage today. I hope that she is willing to start throwing things out. We have so much stuff that we have to sort through that one day will not be enough to clean up the confusion.



Observation 1 – Our son Kevin had some help this past week with respect to renovating his restaurant “Dough”. Todd Brodeur, a certified contractor, was contacted by Kevin to see if he was available to help out with the renovation. I knew when Kevin talked about what he wanted to do in his place that he was taking on an almost overwhelming task. As we left North Tewksbury on this past Monday, I suggested to Kevin to see if Todd was available. Since the Brodeur’s are considered family (even though there is no blood connection), Todd found time help Kevin out. I am not sure when the renovation will be complete, but his patrons will be impressed with the new look of the restaurant.

This is another example of the Curley theme of surrounding yourself with a good set of friends who can lend a helping hand when needed.

The Curley’s have kept their friendship with the Brodeur family since Linda and Ginny Brodeur (Todd’s mom) were roommates at Framingham State College in the late 1960’s.



Observation 2 – The corn on the cob last night at the picnic was sweet. We had corn from a competitor farm stand the night before. The corn was like cow corn. It looked good, but had no taste at all. We were on our way home from the Irish and Garlic Festival in Bennington Vermont. We stopped at the farm stand at the lower end of Crane Avenue because it was convenient. We should have gone to the corn stand on Partridge Road which was about a mile off of Crane Avenue. Their corn is some of the best grown in Berkshire County. Before this day is over, I am sending Linda off to get some for our supper this evening.



Well, I have to finish my morning routine. I am really going to be kind to Linda, and not press her to get to the tasks at hand.

Have a great Labor Day.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: