Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,



Procrastination did win out on Friday.



My golf wasn’t great because the heat started to get to me, but I won’t use that as an excuse. My team lost the maximum of $3, but who cares when anything we do lose is going to our next event which is a pizza party in a couple of weeks. I did miss the picnic because it occurred during our trip down south.



Observation -- In our foursome, we played with a banker friend (he took the day off) who I used to go skiing with on Monday nights at Jiminy Peak Ski (in another life). As usual, I asked him how he was doing. He said that he almost died several months ago. An aneurysm burst in his intestine, and he lost 80% of the blood in his body. I asked him what were the signs, and where did it happen? He got up for work one day, and said that he knew something was wrong. He was bleeding internally. He had his wife take him to the emergency room instead of calling 911. After a several week stay in the hospital, he recovered. He said that the doctors wanted to do more procedures to completely fix the problem. He decided not to have the procedures, and let nature do what it wants to do. I didn’t say anything, but I was thinking he is a walking time bomb.

He then tells me while he and his wife were at a wedding in Washington, D.C. few months after he recovered, and she blew out a disc. They go back to Pittsfield, and the doctors spent 10 days trying to do therapy to solve her disc problem. He took her to Bay State medical center, and they performed an operation to solve her problem. She is on the mend too. My friend estimated that their two problems cost about $500, 000. Thank God for Obama Care!

The point of this little story is to remind people that we all are going to get aches and pains as we age. When you think that your problems are pretty bad, there is always someone worse off than you are.



As we were playing golf in the heat and humidity, I was thinking about the inside windowless classroom in which I spent my last few years of teaching. I would rather be sweating on the golf course than sweating in my former classroom. If it was my time to meet my Maker, it would be better to do so while on the golf course.



I did take a nap after golf. I miss my afternoon naps. This was the first one in a while.



Last evening, we went off to the Wahconah Country Club for supper. Filet Mignon was on the menu. All of us were a member of the clean plate club. They cooked each filet exactly the way that we ordered them. Three of us had the Filet’s, and one person had a Lobster roll, and a cup of clam chowder. Her meal was wonderful too.



Since I had a nap, I had enough energy to stay up a little later. We returned to our house and finished up the lemon dessert leftover from BONCO before we played a few hands of cribbage – Women versus the men. The women won by two games to one margin. Oh Darn!



Social Calendar – We are going off to an Irish Festival in Bennington, Vermont this morning. Our exit strategy is a 9 AM departure time. Almost across the street from the festival grounds is a Garlic Festival. We plan on making an appearance at that festival too. Some of our Berkshire County friends have already made plans to attend the Garlic Festival.



The heat and humidity has left the Berkshires. It will be a jacket and long pants today at the Irish Festival. Linda and I love the cool weather, and we are going to enjoy every day of this clean and crisp air. We are going to open up the windows and get that stale air out of our house. Yeah!



We did get invited to a Labor Day picnic. It takes place late afternoon on Sunday at a friend’s home. I can’t wait to attend.



Well, I hope that everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.

Some friends will be attending a soccer tournament for their children or their grandchildren. Linda and I have few years before we will be watching our grandchildren engaging in extracurricular activities.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: