Monday, August 18, 2008

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

The deck party went very well last evening at our friend's home in West Stockbridge. There were 9 of us.
We started off with appetizers on the deck. 6 PM was the stated starting time. Of course, most of us came early in keeping with what seniors citizens do. One couple came fashionably late, and missed the appetizers except for the one which they brought.
The male host did four rotisserie chickens on the grill. Yes, there are leftovers! My grilled vegetables, and a jello salad, which the hostess made. complemented the chicken.
Yes there were homemade desserts including a blueberry pie, homemade cookies, and muffins which I grabbed on the way out the door.
We arrived home around midnight. Good thing that I took an afternoon nap!

The festivities didn't end with he conclusion of supper. Out hosts built an bond fire, and shot off fireworks , which are illegal in Massachusetts. A few people stayed around the camp fire, but most of us went into the house, and watched Phelps, and his teammates grab another gold medal.

As I watched Phelps' mom and two sisters celebrate the victory, I was thinking what a wonderful job that his mom did raising those children on her own. I also thought wouldn't it have been nice to have his dad around during those years where her mom struggled to keep the family together on her own? Walking out on his family, when the children were so young, was such a cruel thing that his father did.
I love it when an athlete is victorious, and the cameras focus on the parent (s). Maybe one of these days, we will see both parents enjoying the accomplishments of their children.

We are heading out the door in less than an hour. Linda has a 10 AM shower in Lee at the local golf course. I am going to Lee with her, and visit with my parents.

No, the Curley day never ends with just one event. We are heading north to play Bocce, and picnic at a friend's house. This event starts at 3 PM. More fun and merriment for a second consecutive day.

Are we over scheduled? Some might say "\Yes"! As I look at some of my friends dealing with life threatening illnesses, and as read the obituary section of the local newspaper, and see more and more baby boomers listed in this section, I want to participate in every fun activity that I can.

Life is good for some of us. Enjoy it while you can! The Curley Lad

No comments: