Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

I left the house on Saturday at 11:45 AM, and headed to a pavilion on one of our local lakes in Pittsfield. There were about 50 guys at the clambake. The food and beverages were endless. I always meet some interesting characters. I saw this guy sitting alone at one of the picnic tables so I decided to strike up a conversation as we ate hot dogs, hamburgers, sausage patties, jumbo shrimp, raw clams (which I can't eat) along with a tuna macaroni salad, and cole slaw. These were just the appetizers before they cooked clams, and then the main meal of a preordered lobster or a steak. Not every one shows up at a clambake even though they paid for the event. Some guys ate four bags of steamed clams each. I had an extra steak since I couldn't eat the clams.
Getting back to the guy who I sat with, I found out that he is single. He is single because he is divorced. He still is involved / friends with his ex-wife who is wheel chair bound, and in a nursing home suffering from MS. He volunteered this information, I just let him talk. He has a trailer in Pittsfield which he leaves at a local campground, and a trailer in Florida which he stays at during the winter. He told me about his prostate problem. At one point he asks me to guess his age. I guessed that he was nearing 80. He just turned 70 years old a few months ago.
Another character there was a mentally challenged person who had a heart of gold. He would get you another soda or beer, took away your empty plate, make sure the beverages were ice down. No one told him to do these things, he just did them. He even went around having people take pictures of him and the participants on his cell phone. Yes, the Curley lad is in one of the photos. By the end of the clambake, he was "three sheets to the wind". I drove him back the public housing complex where he lives in downtown Pittsfield .
I felt bad for my friend who organized the clambake because he had a 2 PM wedding to attend for a friend's daughter. My friend worked with the father of the bride in the print shop at my former high school.

When I arrived home, I didn't last more than thirty minutes before I decided to go to bed (7:30 PM). My biological clock was still out of whack because of my driving detour after the Patriot Game on Thursday night.

Linda did go out to the restaurant in downtown Pittsfield last evening with some friends. I haven't seen or spoken to her since 11:45 AM on Saturday morning.

I think that our day is totally free. I did take home a bunch of those raw clams, and a bag of the uncooked clams. There are enough that Linda might have to share them with somebody.

My Red Sox lost yesterday while the first and third place teams won. Another friend and I listened to the game on radio at the clambake. It was probably good that I didn't see the game on television. It was probably better to visualize how Toronto scored 11 runs while the Sox put up a big fat 0 in the scoring column.
Well, the local newspaper just arrived.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: