Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

I met one of my former students at the supermarket yesterday. She was wheeling her two year old in a stroller. I asked how things were going? After 15 minutes of chatting, I pretty much had her life's history. This student was in my last class of the day. The class is what we used to call "General Mathematics", but that term was no longer in use during the last few years of my teaching career. The term "General Mathematics" might hurt the person's self esteem.
How could I ever forget a student like her? She liked to skip this class as well as many of her others, and roam the halls of the school until she got caught. Yes, we went through the usual parent conferences with the mother and step father. She said that she would play by the rules. This lasted about two days. She didn't pass my class. I think the principal asked her to leave the high school.
Well, here she is with a child. She lives in a half way house (used to be an elementary school) for pregnant teenagers and girls in abusive relationships. She said that she was going back to school to get a CNA certificate (Certified Nursing Assistant). I asked if she was married. She said that she was going to get married after the birth of child who she was now carrying. At least her current child , and one she is going to give birth to have the same father.
Yes, us tax payers are paying for all of this. Even though, I am diehard democrat and liberal, I don't condone this behavior at the taxpayers expense. What is sad is that these children, and the dysfunctional family which they will be part of, have a long and difficult road ahead.

On a happier note, I went to bed a happy man last evening since my Red Sox were victorious.

Today is the Irish Sister City picnic at our home which starts around 5:30 PM. I am praying that the possible scattered showers don't happen in Pittsfield, or at least take place after the cookout. Time will tell!

Have to go and read the local newspaper. The Curley Lad

No comments: