Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

It was a tough day at the Saratoga Race Track on Monday. I came back with half of what I started with. Linda will have to work extra hours at the Purple Plume to recover from her loses. I will give you an example of how difficult it was to come home a winner. Linda wins the Daily Double for the last two races of the day. The daily double paid $7.30 on a $2 bet. I had the winning horse in the last race, an it paid $6.30 for a $2 bet. It would have been okay if we spent two dollars only per race. We both bet other horses who were long shots, but they never won the whole day. The long shots should have stayed in the horse barn.
I didn't realize that the bus that I went on had brought enough food for everyone on the bus. A bunch of people from our group went to the track early and secured about 8 picnic tables in a pine grove. I forgot to mention that we were on the bus with mostly Italians. You never run out of food when you eat at an Italian home!
I sat next to a former student of mine on the bus. I took a six pack of beer, and a bottle of water. The former student and I downed the three beers each during the first half hour shortly after we arrived at the track.
I didn't know about the food situation. I would have brought a covered dish, and more liquids if I knew what I was getting myself into. I am going on this bus for sure next year.
The day was hot, and I should have packed more liquids. My former student bought four 23 ounce beers throughout the day, and never brought me back one. He never even asked if I wanted a beer. He just told me how good they were! I just assumed that if I had shared half of my six pack with him that he would buy meat least one beer. Well, my former student doesn't have any Italian blood flowing in his veins.

The MahJongg ladies are coming to our house today. I offered to cook some burgers and hot dogs, but Linda didn't want to be the party coordinator. She is still exhausted from all of last weeks' activities.

I have a 1 PM and a 6 PM for two different organizations, so I have enough to keep me busy.

I did go to bed a happy man since my Red Sox won their game, but the first place team continues their winning ways.

Well, I have to do the usual morning activities.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: