Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hello on Christmas Eve

Dear Friends,



We had another pleasant day yesterday. The grandchildren were fun to entertain, take care of, etc.

Mike and I did take Isabelle out sliding in the front of our yard twice during the day. Isabelle appears to have no fear! Could she end up being an Air Force Pilot like her Mom and Dad?

Isabelle calls me “Papa”. In one of her books, there was a picture of a person of color with a mustache and curly hair. Isabelle called the person “Papa”.



In the evening, friends did drop in to wish me a “Happy Birthday”. They did give me some nice birthday cards, and gifts. I hope that some of the lottery tickets turn out to big winners.



Today we have one of those three party days. Making it to all three depends on the status of our grandchildren. Our two grandchildren are on sleeping schedules which I think is important for their mental and physical health. At one point last evening, there were four children in our house with the oldest being Isabelle who turns two on December 29, 2009. You can very easily tell when they are tired, and when they need to go to bed.

Our first party begins at 5:30 PM.



One of the grandchildren was sleeping in his crib in our room last night. It is a change from having a dog sleeping in the room. Linda won’t need an alarm to get up when he wakes up.

Max wakes up smiling every time when he wakes up from a nap or a night of sleeping. It is like he so happy to get ready for the activities of the day. He is like his grandpa!



I would imagine that Isabelle will need a dose of sliding today. Maybe Mike and I can tire her out so that she can take a nap, and last a little longer this evening. I took a nap yesterday, but she didn’t.



My muscle strain improves each day, and I will return to Retro Fitness after Christmas.



Observation – I guess I have to stay away from the obituary comments. One of my sons is not fond of me talking about dying, deaths, etc. When you have made so many trips to visit Mom in the hospital, and the nursing home I feel like I am surrounded by death. When you do read about friends and colleagues who have met their Maker before they should have, you do think about your own life.

On the other hand, when you are in your 30’s, and have a new born, all you do think about is life, and not death.

Actually I missed a wake and Mass at the funeral home last evening for the wife of my head custodian. The 66 year old woman lost a three year battle fighting cancer. I had the custodian’s children in mathematics class at my school. It will be so difficult for me to not talk about these death issues.

As we age, people always seems to talk about body parts that aren’t working like they used to, and about going to wakes and funerals of family and friends. It is part of the cycle of life!



I can’t empty the dishwasher like I did yesterday. Kevin and his family are sleeping on the fold out bed from one of the couches in the basement. Yesterday, they heard me rattle the silverware as I was putting them back into the kitchen drawers. This was at 4:15 AM. The dishwasher is calling me right now. The clean light is on, and it is begging me to empty it once again. I guess I will just read a book until I hear someone stirring. Oh that’s right! I don’t have any books to read since I have read most of the top 10 books already! I guess I will read the AARP magazine which arrived the other day!



Well, it is Christmas Eve. If you have little ones in the house, it will be extra special. If you have family and friends which you can be with, then enjoy the festivities. If you are religious, then celebrate Christmas for what it was intended to be à the birth of Christ. Go to a Christmas Eve service!

Keep the warmth that the Christmas Holiday brings, not just for a day or two, but all year long!



Well, I have to relax until the first child decides to wake up. It was Max yesterday around 7 AM. Isabelle slept until 8 AM.

When the confusion begins, it is good confusion when dealing with your grandchildren.



Have a great Christmas, and give you and your family many hugs from Linda and me! The Curley Lad

No comments: