Friday, December 11, 2009

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,

"Baby its cold outside!" It is in the teens in the Berkshires right now, and
not supposed to get out of the low 20's for the rest of the day. It will be
windy all day long too!
As I headed off to retro Fitness for my 4:30 AM start time, I saw that one of
our local ski areas was making snow. I could see the lights on the slopes even
though I couldn't actually see the snow guns on. This little ski area is where
Michale and Kevin, and me learned how to ski. Since I took it up as an adult, it
took me a bit longer to get the hang of it. I still need a lot of work!

The Retro Fitness experience went well this morning for the most part. I
encountered a little difficulty on the
treadmill. I like to try and do my one hour workout without my glasses on. I
thought that I could read most of the buttons on the machine. I was on a 20
minute mile pace when I started pushing buttons to change a setting. I started
pushing them so fast that the machine got confused, and went into an emergency
stop mode. I almost fell off of the
machine when it came to a screeching halt. I didn't know how to restart the
machine. I had to call an attendant to get it going again, which was
embarrassing. I wish that I had more patience when it comes to electronic
equipment.

We had a pleasant Thursday. Linda hovered by the telephone trying to find a
bargain during the Radio Auction. She did manage to secure a restaurant item. I
have to pick up the certificate at the radio station this morning.
The auction didn't have a lot of great items, and it ended by 1 PM. Past
auctions lasted for two days.

After lunch, and the auction, we headed off to do a little Christmas shopping,
mostly for children. This was a quick shopping adventure because Linda was going
out with her Book Club at a restaurant in my home town of Lee. I don't know how
the dinner turned out because I was in bed when she came home. I was trying to
watch the Boston Bruins, and the Boston Celtics in bed. I did see the Bruins win
their game, but I did miss an exciting finish to the Celtic game.
Oh Darn!

Speaking of sports -- One of the four Patriot players, who were sent home
because of being late for a team meeting the other day, let himself be
interviewed on ESPN. He might be sitting on the bench on Sunday for their 1 PM
game.

A couple of Red Sox players will be playing for new teams next year.

Jack Nicklaus was asked to comment on the Tiger Woods fiasco. Jack said that it
was a private matter between Tiger and his family.
Well, Tiger's sponsors don't think so. They have started pulling advertisements
which have Tiger as their spokesperson. Maybe my friends are correct? If Tiger
can get back on the golf course, and win a few tournaments, his transgressions
will be old news.

After doing a couple of errands, I think that I will be wrapping presents for a
good portion of the day.

We are not socially engaged for the weekend, but I think that Linda doesn't
mind that. She has a list for the grocery store which seems to be a mile long.
She also has lists of things which must be done before our sons and their
families arrive for Christmas. She develops the stress, and gets headaches while
I just keep on savoring my books. I try and not put to much in my head to get
stressed out about! I can't remember half of what she tells me anyway!

We have already had one couple tell us that they are free this weekend. Hint!
Hint!

My friend who had the rotator cuff surgery saw the orthopedic doctor on
Thursday. He said that the healing in his shoulder is going well. He is allowed
to start therapy right away. This is good news for my friend, but he is well
aware that the process will be a slow one for the type of injury which he has.

Observation -- While in Walmart yesterday, we were in the toy and game isle. I
saw the game called "Connect Four". We have the game. Kevin has some in his
restaurant for his customers while they are waiting for food to be prepared. I
was tempted to purchase a new one because I think ours needs a paper clip to
hold it together since it has been used so many times.
Well, I didn't purchase a new one. The game manufacturer tweaked the game.
Instead of the one simple and original game, they added two more versions of the
game. Change is often good as you can see with the electronics revolution. On
the other hand, when you have created a successful game, why does it need to be
changed?
Speaking of games, do families play board games any more? This was the one
shelf in the store which wasn't getting a lot of action when we were there. I
remember playing most of those board game with our children. "Chutes and
Ladders", and "Candylan" were two of my favorites!
I used to take my games and puzzles to school just before Christmas. So many of
my students had never even seen or played some of those games when they were
small.

Well, have a great Friday and a weekend in general.
Have to read the local newspaper, and get to some quiet chores.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: