Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

It was quiet day on Friday for the Curley's in the Berkshires.

Linda had a body maintenance appointment in the morning, and tried to do a few
errands after the procedure. It was too cold going from the car to the store and
back again for her to really enjoy herself. She quit after only shopping for an
hour or two.

I was rescued from attending a cultural event last evening. Linda and a friend,
along with her relatives' two children, went off to a Shakespeare's version of
some kind of Christmas program. I was in bed before she arrived home to get all
the details of the play.
I enjoyed the quietness of the home, and almost finished savoring another
murder mystery book. A few more chapters, I will be done reading the book. It is
another one from the top 10 list of books.

I am not sure what is on our social calendar this evening.
When I return from my workout, and have a healthy breakfast, I will be wrapping
presents. Linda has them all labeled for me. We have been wrapping them in the
basement for the past few years. We have two tables to work with, and I will
turn on ESPN Sports Center while completing the wrapping task.

Politics -- Mark Sanford was finally served divorce papers from his wife of 20
years. This politician is the one who had an affair with a woman from Argentina.
This woman, and her children have been staying at the waterfront home owned by
this politician. This is another example of a guy who must not have taken his
marriage vows too seriously. What is with these people?

News -- While doing my errands on Friday, I was listening to the radio in my
car. There was a story about a UPS guy who wasn't delivering his packages. He
stole over $250,000 worth of items, and he got caught selling them on "Ebay".
Those packages better not be any of ours!

Tiger is taking a break from golf. Actually he and his wife are probably
working out a financial settlement for when she says that the marriage is over.
Would any of my female readers want to try and salvage a marriage like this one?
Yesterday, it was reported that she bought a place on a little island in
Sweden. A divorce must be on the horizon!

December 7, 1941 - I did forget to mention that this past Monday was Pearl
Harbor Day. I didn't forget the day. When I was in school, we had to memorize
the date, and be able to explain the significance of the event. What is so sad
is the small number of World War II veterans who are still around. There are so
few of these brave men and women still alive in the United States.
Again, I ask myself, what did we learn from all the bloodshed during World War
II? The killing just keeps on taking place, but in different countries. Am I too
unrealistic to hope that we can ever solve our problems without killing each
other?

Sports -- None of my teams played in any contests last evening so it was a
quiet night for me. My son is correct about some of the thugs who are playing
sports right now. Some of the troubled athletes actually like coming to a
disciplined team like the Patriots. Since no one made them follow rules during
their upbringing (often fatherless homes), the athletes enjoy having a no
nonsense coach like Belechik.

Observation -- Well, the ice is finally starting to form on our lakes. When
the ice is safe to walk on (for me it must be 6 or 7 inches thick), I will be
going from the gym, and then back home to gather my gear for a few quiet hours
on the frozen pond. Linda will have her four or five hours of peace and quiet
too.
Fresh air and a little sun is good for the body. I am also not crazy. I
wouldn't have gone ice fishing yesterday with a below zero wind chill. Ideal
conditions for me would be temperatures between 25 and 35 degrees, and no wind.
A little sun would be nice, but cloudy weather is better for ice fishing.
I have already received and offer to do a little ice-fishing in New Hampshire.
Linda's Godson, and his wife own a house on a small pond. I can put a few tip
ups out, and stay in their house until a flag goes up. Now this is called
ice-fishing!

Have a great weekend.
Christmas is almost here.
Hope that you have someone to share it with.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: