Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning from the Berkshires

Dear Friends,

It is great to be back home. My first e-mail elicited some response to my comments about the President making a slight error during his health care speech a few nights ago by saying the the Cambridge, MA police acted "stupidly" when they arrested an elderly black male with a cane in his own home. A neighbor had called the police, and said that there was a possible burglary. The police went to the home expecting to catch and arrest a bad guy. Well, there was no burglar. It was just the owner of the house. I guess the black male became verbally abusive so that the police cuffed the guy. So after a few days of the media trying to create news, the President has invited the arresting police officer, and the black male to the White House so that they can put the issue to rest.

We did have a pleasant Friday which ended in a date / cultural event. Gary Puckett, from the band right out of the 60's called "The Union Gap", put on a great show. The Colonial Theater was filled with baby boomers, and Gary's performance was awesome. Everyone left the place feeling good. At one point during the performance, Gary asked all the veterans to stand up, and take a bow. He sang a song directed at the veterans. The tears were flowing for many of the concert goers.

We did arrive home just in time to see the Red Sox break a five game losing streak. The Yankees won their game. The Yankees are still leading the Eastern division.

The rain continues to fall on a daily basis in the Berkshires. As we exited the Theater on Friday night, it was raining quite hard. It continued to do so for several hours.

Social Calendar -- My first task of the day is to make a cake for the Annual ITAM picnic which will be taking place on Sunday from 12 PM to 5 PM. There is a 60 % chance of severe thunder showers.
After the cake making, I then will do a little track walking before heading off to visit Mom (which I didn't do on Saturday).

Linda will have several hours of peace and quiet, but she has to wrap a baby shower present, and go off and get a package of diapers for the shower. The baby shower is on Sunday in Connecticut.
She also wants to attend a Craft's Fair at Lilac Park in Lenox. She was looking for a girl friend to do so. She did say that with all the rain, the Craft's Fair could be a wet and soggy event.

Speaking of the track walking, I did observe some interesting people on Friday. Visualize a lady with snow white hair, who was my age or younger, walking the track in the opposite direction than the rest of us walk. Most of us walk from right to left, not this lady. She walks one time from left to right, and then switches from right to left. I think that she was doing this just to drive me nuts.
I did get behind another lady who I think was wearing thong underwear, not that I was looking. I was getting a little distracted, so I passed her. If she was looking at my butt as I passed her, she would have noticed that I had no underwear lines. I was wearing a pair of light weight Red Sox shorts with the family jewels unharnessed.

On Sunday, Linda and I will have to go to the wake for our Mayor's wife. We will not be going together. I am meeting my UNICO brothers and sisters at 5 PM so that we can enter the wake as a group. Linda will be arriving back from the shower later than 5 PM, so she will be attending the wake alone.

Observation -- Our deck is not getting a workout this year since the weather has not been cooperative. Our cookouts have been minimal. We normally would be entertaining friends in the screened in room on the deck, or I would be watching some of my Red Sox games out there. Not this summer!
Reading the Sunday newspapers is another activity which we have done only one or two times so far, and it is almost the end of July. I am guessing that the fall will be hot and dry so that I will be able to make up for the many times which the weather has kept me way from the golf course.
I am trying to figure out if Global Warming has anything to do with the weird weather we have had so far this summer.
Good thing that we weren't on the Tanglewood lawns last evening. The rains came right in the middle of the Saturday night concert. More tourist dollars went down the drain with the rain.
We are supposed to go to Tanglewood on Tuesday night for a program called "Tanglewood on Parade". We will not be attending the concert if it rains. Yes, the forecast is for a chance of a thunderstorm for the next week or so.

Have to go, and make a cake. I have to use a hand mixer for at least two minutes. Do you think that I might disturb Linda as she tries to sleep until at least 8 AM. If the noise from the mixer doesn't wake her, the smell of a cake baking in the oven might do so.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: