Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

We went in opposite directions on Friday. I went off to visit with my parents in Lee while Linda went to a matinee play at the Barrington Stage with a girlfriend. I didn't get all the details because I was engrossed with the Red Sox game, which was a "nail bitter", when she came home near 10 PM.
Her adventure didn't end with the end of the play which went from 2 PM until 5 PM. Linda and her friend hooked up with another girlfriend to do supper, and some recreational shopping. I was invited to join them for supper, but I was already in the middle of eating leftovers. Oh Joy!

I did finish savoring another book. Linda has been bringing back books from the dollar store since I have read most of the top 10 books. The dollar store books are hit or miss.

Sports -- My Red Sox are now alone in first place by 1 game since the Yankees lost their west coast game.

Politics -- Governor Sanford was not only chasing an Argentinian woman, but he was looking in to purchasing real estate in Latin America. His days are numbered as Governor.
In Italy, the skirt chaser Burlesconi, is still in office, and he is still accepted by a good number of Italians.
I guess some countries believe it is okay for their leaders to have mistresses. Power and money once again rule!

Observation -- I don't like some of the proposals to pay for health care. The one where the President would like to do an extra tax for those making over $200,000 doesn't seem fair. You shouldn't be penalized if you work hard. Do I sound like a Republican?
Maybe a better approached would be to stop paying people for not working. Once you receive a monthly check for sitting on your butt, it very difficult to go out and seek a job. I am not talking about the people who lost their job, and who are on unemployment because those unemployment checks don't last for ever.
Healthy people should be working even if the job seems menial (unless you are retired).
One of my teacher friends (elementary physical education teacher) has been working since the day he retired. He works at a local grocery store. He is one the people who go out into the parking lot during rain, sleet, and snow, to retrieve the shopping carts. He seems to be happy doing this job. I think that he is working for the social security benefits even though his benefits will be reduced by 2/3 since he has a teacher pension plan. Thank you President Reagan for signing that law back in 1985!

Social Calendar -- Since Linda and I communicated for less than five minutes on Friday, I don't know what is on our social calendar for today.

Weather -- We never reached 80 degrees in the Berkshires on Friday. Today we will be experiencing rain during the afternoon into the evening. We are still into a pattern of high's in the low 70's, and lows in the 50's. The good thing is that the air conditioners have been needed, and I haven't had to water the flowers except for the two hanging pots on either side of the garage which the eaves prevent the rain from reaching.
I did forget to mention that I dropped one of those hanging baskets a couple of weeks ago. I dropped and cracked one when I was trying to rotate the pot. Duck tap to the rescue. The flowers are growing so well that you can't see the Grey duck tape on the white flower pot.

I feel bad for the people who have purchased tickets to one of our local venues called Tanglewood. This is the summer home for the Boston Sympathy Orchestra located in Lenox (six miles south of Pittsfield). The nights have been cool, and the evening rains have really put a damper on people who picnic on the lawn outside of the music shed.

Well, I have to grab another cup of coffee. I have had only two since my gall bladder was removed. I have been drinking tea instead of coffee. As of this moment, I seemed to be doing okay with the coffee and fat free half and half.
Have a great weekend wherever you are located.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: