Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

Wednesday went okay in the Curley household. I was able to play 18 holes, and the round was over by 9:30 AM. I did start off alone, but hooked up with a 39 year old friend of the the family. He was playing from the championship tees while I played from the tees which I use when I play with the seniors on Friday. I did break 100, but there is still room for improvement.

After golf, I packed up the dehydrator, and the accessories. I will not be dehydrating anything in the near future. Linda took the dehydrator back to the store where she purchased it, and got her money back. I will be purchasing dehydrated fruit and beef jerky, and not making it.
I say "Linda took back the device" because I don't do well psychologically returning items.

While Linda went off to return the dehydrator, I went off to Lee to visit Mom. I took her outside for a walk while she sat in her wheel chair. I did fix her a beverage out of the back of my car, and she proceeded to fall asleep.
She had a wicked cough that sounded like her lungs were a mess. The nursing home staff took an X-Ray because they were concerned also. I don't know the results of the X-Ray yet.
I stopped in to see dad on the way back to Pittsfield. He was sitting in his motorized chair with an Afghan on. My sister happened to be there at the same time. She was on her way to New York State to visit with her grandchild.
My sister and I tried to talk dad into looking into an assisted living setting, but he said that it was financially not an option. My sister and I are concerned about dad.

The book club dinner went well last evening at a friend's home. I bonded with the husband of the host. I ate very well, maybe too well. I really did enjoy the perfectly cooked New york Strip steak, the scallops, eggplant Parmesan, and scalloped potatoes. The strawberry short cake dessert was wonderful too. There goes my diet. I will have to walk an extra mile at the track today.

Politics -- The congressional hearings will be difficult today since the firefighters, who won a reversal of the decision made by the nominee, will testify against her today. The nominee threw out higher test scores of white applicants in favor of lower test scores by blacks.

Sports -- My Red sox are back in action tonight. I should be able to watch a good portion of the game depending on our social calendar.

Social Calendar -- Tonight is Third Thursday in downtown Pittsfield. The event was rated among the top ten free events to participate in by AAA. Normally I would be cooking with my Irish Sister City brothers and sisters, but our President and some workers are in Ireland right now partying with our Irish Sister City friends from Ballina, Ireland. I couldn't run our booth alone.
If the weather is okay, Linda and I will be walking the streets of downtown Pittsfield. Since we normally would be working the event, we very seldom get to see much of it.

Observation -- There was a brief article about the 88 year old female driver who killed the four year old crossing the street at the eastern end of the State a couple of weeks ago. A reporter dug up the facts that this woman has had 5 accidents since 1982, one of which killed her husband. Do you think that some red flags should have come up so that she wouldn't gotten to the point of running over that innocent four year old?
Yes, I know that I will probably be kicking and screaming when my children have to take my driver's license many years from now.
Am I ready to take dear old dad's license away? Yesterday when I visited him, and said that he was sitting in his chair when I arrived, I did observe that he had left the trunk of his car open. Also, his portable walker was set up right outside of the back of the car. This is what I mean when I say dad needs someone to check on him. He doesn't remember that he even does things like this.

Sports Continued -- The British Open is on television right now. A former British Open winner, Tom Watson, shot a 65 today. Good job for a guy over 50 years old! Tiger is even par after 15 holes.

Have to go and get my track walking clothes on. I might have to dodge a few morning rain drops.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: