Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,



It is so nice to be back in our own home, and to be able to sleep in your own bed, and be in your own surroundings.



I really do appreciate my man cave even though I sat through an extra inning Red Sox game last evening in which they lost.



We have a great day weather-wise on tap for today. It should approach the middle 80’s for us in the Berkshires.



My lawn needs a good trimming today. It is long enough to use the rear bagger on the mower which requires more work. Oh Darn!



We went out to Panera Bread last evening with friends who were in the Berkshires while we were playing in Mexico this past week. I asked the male how his golf game was, but he said that it was too cold to really play much golf. He said that he had a couple inches of snow on his car when he went off to work one morning.



April is one of those tricky months around here in the Berkshires. You want to get out side and do some yard work, hit a few golf balls, etc., but the weather always tells you that it is too early to do so.



Our friends,the Brodeur’s from North Tewksbury,have become grandparents for the first time. We are not sure of the name of the new baby boy, but all is well in the Brodeur home.



Speaking of babies, it appears our second grandchild from Kansas will be born a week earlier than planned. Everything is okay with the Mom, but it is the size of the baby (he is on the large size) that concerns the doctors. Our two boys were over 8 pounds when they were born. It must be a size thing with the Curley men in the family.



Continuing with the baby theme, our grandchild, Max, from North Tewksbury had his first haircut at a kid friendly place. He definitely looks like a boy. Linda and I hated to leave him yesterday morning but we have things on our social calendar today.



Linda has already wrapped a wedding shower gift for her noon time affair today.



We are then going off to a Kentucky Derby Party from 4 PM until 7 PM. I am looking forward to having a couple of mint juleps while doing a little friendly wagering on who will win the race.



While in Mexico, we met a guy at our resort that had a pair of those swim fins which you see in the Sky Mall magazine while on the airplane. These are the fins where the flap lifts up, and looks like you have shin guards on. You then can walk with your swim fins on. His company makes those swim fins. He was letting people try them out at the resort pool. They appeared to work as advertised.



We had so much fun in Mexico that my stories can’t truly describe how great that the trip was. Yesterday, Linda wanted me to whip up a couple of frozen Margaritas just to keep the memories going.



My missing luggage was found. It will be delivered to our home at some point this morning. As a matter of fact, we met another couple who had a piece of luggage which went missing. Can you believe that this person was from Pittsfield too? His got lost coming from London.



Well, one of the couples, whom we normally go out with on Friday evenings, is currently on their way to Logan airport as I type this e-mail. They are heading off to Atlanta to do some things in their new home. All their brand new appliances are being delivered today, and someone has to be present in their home while they hook them up. I can’t wait for them to furnish the multiple spare bedrooms because I have already mentally invited Linda and me to stay at heir place for a couple of weeks next winter.



Speaking of wintering somewhere warm, if I owned a home, or rented property down south during the winter, I would not come back to the Berkshires until May 1. Some of our friends who do winter down south, and who have returned to the Berkshires have told me that they shouldn’t have come north so soon. The month of April can be a cold and raw month in the Northeast part of the country.



As we drove home from Panera bread last evening, I saw a for sale sign on our neighbor’s lawn. I will have to find out why they decided to sell their house. They are in the baby boomer age group. I know that they have a summer place in Maine, but it is not a year round one.



Observation – While in Mexico, we had no computer, no access to newspapers, and no cell phone service (our choice). Life still went on while we were there. There was the usual wackiness that went on in the United States and the World.

I wasn’t able to read the daily page of obituaries and births in our local newspaper, but people were born, and died while we were gone. Some were young like a friend of a friend who had a massive heart attack, and died at an age of only 51 years old.

This last death reminded us that this is exactly why Linda and I really try and keep ourselves busy, and go on an occasional trip somewhere. When our time is up, I want to make sure that we lived life to the fullest. When I leave this earth, I want to do so with a smile on my face!



Well, I have to make a decision to head off to Retro Fitness for the 6 AM opening, or wait until Sunday to get back into the workout mode.

Have a great weekend!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: