Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

I did go to bed a happy man last evening since my Celtics won their game, and the Red Sox won their game too. The sad thing about the Red Sox game was that we in the Berkshires were not able to watch Dice K pitch a one hitter against the Phillies.

Linda had a good time at the Hospice Fund Raiser at the Crowne Plaza. Linda’s friend, Linda Ruberto, won the dancing of the stars contest. She and her partner danced the Salsa.

Well, it is nice to be able to look out the sliding glass doors onto the deck, and see the newly planted flowers everywhere. The effort is truly worth it, but it didn’t seem so as we were killing ourselves doing the actual planting.

This should be a quiet day for us today. We have a cookout around supper time in North Tewksbury. I am leaning toward some form of beef along with grilled vegetables which will include green and red peppers, yellow and white zucchini, asparagus, and Vidalia onions. I might even try and grill some sweet potatoes. There should be at least 8 adults. It will be a partly cloudy day with a slight chance of a shower, but not enough to cancel a cookout.

I was just telling Danielle by way of an e-mail that the bird feeders made it through a couple of days without be touched by bears or raccoons. Well, I just checked the bird feeder that I had put on a six inch branch on the maple tree. The bird feeder was lying on the ground totally empty. I just filled it yesterday. I needed a 6 foot step ladder just to hang the bird feeder. Some creature crawled up the tree, and onto the branch, and knocked the bird feeder down onto the ground. Luckily the creature didn’t attack the bird feeder attached to the pole on the deck. It looks like if I want to feed the birds in the summer, I will have to take the bird feeders in at night, and put them out in the day time only.
I just got through watching the Boston news, and there was a report of numerous bear sightings in surrounding Boston communities. Of course, the largest bear population happens to be in the Berkshires. I am not going to lose this battle to the bears or raccoons. There are bunch of beautiful gold finches at the deck bird feeder right now. I am not giving up this visual experience for the rest of the summer.

The oil spill in the gulf is awful. Besides the creatures of the sea, and the birds who feed off the ocean environment, I feel so bad for the people who making a living off the gulf waters. I assumed that there were ways built into an oil rig to stop the flow of oil if something went wrong. I guess not!

The President’s speech at west point will most likely stir up the talking heads like Limbaugh, Hanity, Beck, etc. on Monday. For the President to talk about diplomacy and war to a class of 1000 warriors is kind of ironic. They were all thinking what a whimp our leader must be when their comrades are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. I do agree somewhat with the President that there has to be a better way to solve our issues besides killing each other. I am a firm believer that violence begets more violence. We never learn from entering war after war. If more countries spent more time trying to solve their economic woes, they would be too tired to even go to war.

Well, I have to do some chore (no planting).
Have a great Sunday!
The summer weather has arrived in the Berkshires!

No comments: