Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,



Another day went as planned in the Curley household.



I played another not so great round of golf, but the day was picture perfect.



I took and afternoon nap so that I could stay up for the Red Sox and the Celtics’ games. The Red Sox got beat for a second night. I must admit that I spent most of my time watching the Celtics, and not watching the Sox go down to defeat.



Linda made it through her breakfast, body maintenance procedure, and squeezed in a little recreational shopping too.



Since the usual suspects weren’t available for supper, Linda called up another set of friends and asked if they were going to the Hills for supper. We went with two other couples and had a great evening. We skipped the buffet offering, and we decided to eat off of the regular menu, and the specials of the day. Linda and I had a thinned slice rib eye that was cooked to perfection. The place was not crowded at all. We sat in the members bar area.



We have no social engagements today, and I told Linda that it was perfectly okay with me. The weather channel says that we are in for a little afternoon rain with temperatures in the low 70’s. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be in the 80’s with plenty of sunshine.



We did get invited to a picnic on Sunday afternoon. An Irish Sister City member invited all of the Sister City members for a cookout. Everyone was asked to bring a covered dish, and BYOB. The festivities start at 2 PM.

I also think another friend is having a cookout too that we were invited to. Decisions – decisions! What are we to do?



The other night Linda heard some noise on the deck while she was watching some of her previously recorded programs. She turned on the spot light on the deck. She noticed a big fat raccoon knocking over garbage cans, and climbing on the lone birdfeeder. One garbage can just has the corn peels from the night before. The cobs I put in trash cans in the garage. This is why we can’t leave out trash outdoors.

Linda even yelled at the raccoon, but he just kept on doing his thing. This must have been the same creature that knocked over the bird feeder a week ago that I had hanging from a branch high off of the ground. Raccoons are great climbers. I am not sure how I can get rid of the raccoon. I hate to spend the money for a “Have a heart trap”, then what would I do with the captured animal. I also don’t want to stop feeding the birds.



A lot of people are having parties this weekend. Some are for college graduates, and some are parties before the actual high graduations in the county take place.

Speaking of school, on the way out of the Hills yesterday, I stopped to talk to some former colleagues who are still teaching. I asked one of the guys how things were going? He said that is starting not to be fun anymore. He said that he is starting to lose his patience with some of the wing nuts who disrupt class. Every teacher has one or two classes of these types of students.

I asked him when his projected retirement was going to be. He said that he has five more years to go before he can collect a reasonable pension since he entered the education field later in life. His wife is in the private sector, and they will both retire when they are 62.

I told him that the way he is feeling was exactly why Linda and I decided to call it a career. We saw the clientele was changing, and it wasn’t for the better.

Life as a teacher would be so easy if parents gave their children a head start in their own home. Parents are their child’s first teachers, and some parents fail to do their job. I saw a bumper sticker on a car when I was stuck in Boston traffic this past Monday. I can’t remember the first few words on the bumper sticker, but it essentially said to stop whining, and “Take care of your own damn children.”



Well, have a great Saturday, and remember this is Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, I have an American Flag blowing in the breeze in the front of our house.



Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: