Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

The Curley’s had another pleasant day on Friday.

My golf went okay, and I did dip a little below the 100 mark for a golf score, but the team that I was assigned to didn’t fair that well. The weather was beautiful, and it still beats working!

Linda’s appointment went well!

The power washer guys were attacking the rest of the house when Linda came home. They were still there a little after 1 PM when I arrived home from golf. Yes, I did take an afternoon nap. The power washing was completed while I was sleeping.

The UNICO installation of officers at Cranwell went very well. There were only two of us wearing a black tux. No one told us that we could have worn a sport coat and a tie.
I did garner an award which was commensurate with my ability to speak publicly. You can see the gift the next time that you come to the Curley home.
My high school friend, neighbor, and fellow Unican also was awarded a set of glasses with his name etched on them for all of his efforts at those pasta dinners which we volunteer at.

The food at the installation was magnificent. You had to be there to appreciate everything from the appetizers, the main meal, and the dessert. During the meal we were served either White or Red wine.

In a few short hours, we are heading to North Tewksbury to bond with our son’s family. After spending the weekend, we will be taking Max back to the Berkshires. We will be baby sitting him for over a week while Kyla goes out of town on work related business. Kevin normally drops Max off at Day Care in the morning, but he can’t leave his restaurant for the pick up at 6 PM, which Kyla does every day. We aren’t sure when we will return Max to Tewksbury because Kevin and Kyla have plans for the following weekend.

Sports – I missed the Red Sox game because of the installation. They beat up on the Baltimore Orioles. The firing of their coach before the game didn’t make any difference. The Orioles are terrible no matter who is coaching them.
From a Red Sox perspective, their pitcher, Bucholtz, is leading the majors in wins. Before the season started, there was talk of trading him. Good thing that they didn’t trade him. Both he and Lester are the two best pitchers on the Red Sox. Every time the other pitchers take the mound, there is no guarantee that the Sox will win the game.

As I sit in the family room typing this e-mail, I can hear the rain falling. We are in for a wet weekend in the Northeast. Seeing our grandson will brighten our day no matter what the weather is doing. I don’t mind the rain because I was going to water all the flowers in our yard before going on our adventure, but Mother Nature is doing it for me.
I did replace the Herbs that some creature ate the other day. I hope that they didn’t eat the new ones last night!

I see where John Wooden, the former coach of the UCLA basketball team passed away. He almost made it to 100 years old. I bring his name up not only because of his coaching talent, but also because a cousin of the Curley family was a pen pal with John Wooden. The elderly cousin, who is now deceased, Margaret Curley Drake, used to correspond by way of hand written letters (this was before computers). I would bet some collectors would like to get their hands on some of these correspondences. I am not sure if she or her family kept the letters.


Well, I have to gather some of the stuff which we are taking to Tewksbury. I am going to take some form of meat that we have in the freezer. The last time we took a beef tenderloin, and I cut them into steaks, and grilled them. I am leaning towards taking some form of pork, or maybe a Turkey Breast. Whatever we decide, I am going to grill it whether it rains or not.

I hope that the weather doesn’t dampen all the graduation parties, weddings, and cookouts which people are having this weekend in the Northeast.
I have to read the local newspaper, and get to work, but quietly!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: