Friday, May 8, 2009

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,

It looks like it will be a pretty nice day for golf with my seniors buddies today. Any chance of a thunder shower doesn't appear likely until the supper hour.
I had planned to go from golf to a couple of hours of "Downtown Cleanup" with a crew of Irish Sister City Workers. The 2:15 PM until 4 PM event has been canceled due to the threat of rain. I am not sure if I can make the rain date at the end of the month.

Our Thursday went as planned. I did a partial closet rearranging of my stuff after Linda woke up, and before I decided to go back to some deck work.
I took out the power washer, which belongs to my sister, and attacked the deck. I had to practice not destroying the wood which a power washer can do. The paint person at Home Depot, whom we have dealt with before, warned me that a power washer could render the stain useless, if we go beyond removing the old stain. Yes, they have paint an stain stripping stuff at Home Depot, but I am trying to avoid using those chemicals.

Mom -- I did go off and visit Mom at Berkshire Medical Center. She caught a cold, and has a bladder infection which is not good. I did give her a wheel chair ride outside of the hospital so that she could get some fresh air. I soon realized that pushing a wheel chair is not an easy task unless you a little person. My back was killing me because I spent the thirty minutes bent over while pushing the wheel chair. The wheel chair design has to be tweaked to make it more comfortable for the person pushing the wheel chair.

Sports -- I know that it is early in the season, but the Red Sox won their game, and the Yankees lost theirs.
The Bruins and the Celtics return to their playoffs soon.
Manny Ramierz was the big talk in the Sports world on Thursday. Suspended for 50 games, and thus losing about $7 million is quite a big hit for steroid use.

Politics -- Not too much going on in the world of politics.

Observation -- Maintaining a home takes a good deal of time, energy, and money. As you get older, it turns from fun into a chore. We wish that we could just hire someone to do what needs to be done, and just write out a check, and pay them for their services.
Our flower beds are still a mess. There is more grass growing in them, which I haven't dealt with, before the perennials start their summertime growth.
We haven't begun to think about flowers in the deck planters, and flower pots, hanging baskets, barrels, etc., since the deck has to be stained first.
I did ask Linda to help me with the flower beds when we have some free time. She said that she will supervise, but that she doesn't want to participate in the actual grunt work.
Condo living is starting be look more attractive once the grand children get a bit older.

Have to do some quiet chores, and select my golf wardrobe. I think shorts might be a possibility this morning.
Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: