Monday, May 25, 2009

Hello on Memorial Day

Dear Friends,

Can having too much food, fun, and merriment for several days in a row be a detriment to a person's mental and physical health? My guess that the answer to my question is "No." Life is too short! From what and whom I have observed in hospitals, and nursing homes, there is no way that I /(we) will decline an invitation for a party.

Yesterday's party lasted from 2 PM until we decided to leave around 8:30 PM. I even squeezed in some time to watch the Red Sox win their game (Yankees lost their game). The appetizers, and main meal, and the desserts were wonderful. When you are in the home of Italians, there never is a chance of running out of anything.

There was one point in the party when I acted like a counselor to a friend of mine. We sat alone, and ate at the buffet table. He talked about his friend who passed away the other day. The deceased was the same person who had a daughter who attended St. Anselm's with the Brodeur Lad. I really didn't know the deceased.
My friend went to high school with the 62 year old man, and they were Vietnam veterans, and close friends. My friend shed many tears as he talked about his friend. He said that during the past few nights, he hasn't been sleeping well. He has been waking up in the middle of the night, and walking around the house, while thinking about his friend. This will be difficult Memorial Day for my friend.

This what I mean when I say: "Enjoy life, family, and friends, and don't sweat or complain about the little stuff." We don't really know why some of us are on this earth longer than others. Appreciate every waking moment that you are alive!

On a happier note, one set of Mah Jongg ladies are coming to our house for some hot dogs, and hamburgs for lunch. They need some home cooked food before the games begin. After I cook the food, and lunch with them, I think that I will head off to visit my sister in the hospital, and my mother in the nursing home. I might even cook Dad a nice steak supper with all the fixings.

Politics -- Everything is on hold until Memorial Day is over.
The killing in the hot spots throughout the world continues. Will we ever have peace in the world? Will there ever be an end to war? Can we have a world with just the "Good", and without the "Evil"?

Have a great Monday. Attend a Memorial Day parade if your town has one.
Thank every veteran, past, present as well as the men and women who are currently serving our country.
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: