Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hello on Mother's Day

Dear Friends,

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there as well as the prospective mothers (our daughter-in-law Kyla)!
I am one of the lucky ones to have mother still with us. I do appreciate the warm and nurturing family which I grew up in. Mom's are the glue that holds the family together.
I do realize that motherhood is a full time job. There are so many things that my Linda does that I don't do. Many of our family members would probably never get a birthday card. I am not the bill payer in the house. The inside of the house gets changed for every season which I wouldn't deal with. The flowers beds would still be part of the lawn if it was up to me. When I say: "Let's invite friends for dinner or a cookout!", Linda knows that she will be taking care of the details. Linda is my travel agent when we decide to go on trips by searching the internet for the best deals.
Mother's Day, in my mind, is not just one day of the year. Mothers take care of their children, and husbands (me especially) all year long.
Even though my Mom can't be with us this Mother's Day, my sister and I love her dearly.
For some of you whose Mom's have passed away, it is a good day to reflect on the good times. Maybe take out an old photo album, and go through it so that you can bring back some memories of those good times.
Photo Albums are another thing which I don't participate in.

Speaking of Mom, I visited her yesterday around 10:30 AM. She was sitting in her wheel chair when I arrived, so I decided to give her a ride outside the hospital. She appreciated the fresh air even though it looked like it was going to rain any minute. Mom is still in good spirits, and still has most of her mental faculties. She remembers who comes to visit her even though I have to remind her what day or month it is. If you were in nursing homes and hospitals for over four months, and have gone through a couple of operations, you too would have trouble remembering those details.
When I visit her, I could visualize her in her own home until she wants to go from her wheelchair to the hospital bed bed. It takes two people , and board to slide her from the chair to the bed. She also needs help to take of bodily functions which I could never too. I am pretty sure the time line is to return her to a nursing home by the middle of next week before there is any chance of getting her back in her own home, or to an assisted living place which my father is investigating into.

We were visiting friends last evening when a thunder and lightening storm, with high winds, came through their town. The power went out in an instant. The candles came out, Chinese food was delivered, and we had a candle light dinner. We stayed for a while to keep our friends company, but we finally left in the dark. Some power lines went down about a mile from our friend's home. The word was a that a tree knocked down some power lines right outside the Dalton American Legion. We had to take a detour on the way back home.

My Red Sox were embarrassed at Fenway yesterday. The Yankees had the same type of trouble in Baltimore
The three Boston teams do battle this evening. I will be using the remote for many hours.

Social Calendar -- I am going to let Linda dictate what kind of a day that she would like today. If she wants to stay in her sleepwear, and read the local newspaper , and Boston Globe for most of the day, that will be alright for me. If she wants me to make a gourmet breakfast, I will do that too. If she wants to dine out, that is fine with me. I am going to be at her "Beck and call". I won't even suggest things that she should be working on. If she wants to be a total slug, I will accommodate her.

News --- I am betting that a law of "no text messaging while driving" might have a good chance of being passed in Massachusetts since a 24 year old subway driver admitting to doing so. His texting to his girlfriend caused two subway cars to collide, injuring over a 100 people. Luckily no one was killed.

Weather -- It is windy and cool outside today. We might not get out of the 50 degree range.

Have to go, and read the newspapers.
I think that this is a quiet activity.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: