Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

My staining of pretty much everything which I wanted to do, except the deck floor, went well yesterday. I worked from from 9 AM until 3:30 PM. I never stopped for lunch. Linda did supply me with water, beer, and a little snack food as I stained, and stained, and stained.
While I was doing my thing, Linda started working on the flower beds.
Linda got tired of working in the flower beds, and decided to help me with the staining. A color blind person needs a good deal of help. Linda said that she should have followed me around so that I wouldn't have missed so many spots.

By the end of the day, our bodies were aching from head to toe. We felt like we just came out of a multi-hour session of "Pilates". Linda was worse off than I was. We started taking Ibuprofen like it was candy. I feel pretty good this morning compared to the way that I felt last evening.

We have some late afternoon rain in the forecast today so that we will work on the flower beds instead of returning to some touch up staining.

Actually, I can't work the full day in the flower beds, because my UNICO brothers and sisters are going to help with cooking a Chicken Parm Dinner for the local "Big Brothers and Big Sisters" organization at the Eastover Resort today. We will be preparing the dinner, and dessert from scratch. The food preparation starts a little after 1 PM, but the actual serving doesn't take place until around the 6 PM hour. There is an auction at the event also.
The treasurer of UNICO is the head chef today. Even though he is a banker by profession, he is like an Emeril Lagasse in the kitchen. I learn something new every time I work with him!

I didn't mark this event on our main calendar. I think that Linda had some other plans for this afternoon, and evening. Oh Darn!

My Red Sox lost their game last evening. The Yankees won their game.
I think all three Boston teams are playing today. The Sox play at 4 PM.

Politics -- I see where President Obama got himself in trouble at a graduation speech at ASU. He was just trying to make the point that getting a college degree doesn't mean that the work done. Earning that degree is just another step along the way to a fruitful life, and a successful career. Of course, people have to twist his words, and turn it into something negative.

Observation-- While purchasing the stain at Home depot on Thursday, I ran into a former colleague who is still teaching in the Science Department at my old school. He is on a medical leave, but it more than just medical. His wife battled cancer for seven years until she passed away in January. As we conversed, I could see, and feel his emotional pain. He also said that he was lonely, and that his house was so quiet. He owns a small farm which he tends himself. His finances have been cut in half, and he is struggling to keep his head above water. He, like me, never paid the bills, did the taxes, etc. in his family. There is just so much that a partner does in a relationship.
It is so difficult when you lose your life long partner. I told him that Linda and I discussed the subject many times even though we are in relative good health. I told him that Linda has already discussed living with girl friends if I depart this earth first, and she would become of the "Golden Girls". If Linda goes first, she said that it would be okay if I find another companion. Of course, no person could ever replace Linda.
I started to act, and speak like a priest, Father Curley, and a grief counselor too.
This is just another example of "Life is Good" for some of us right now, and that life is too short to sweat the little stuff.

Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and get to those flower beds.
Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: